Michigan LCO's

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by tiedeman, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. TMAC669

    TMAC669 LawnSite Member
    from N/A
    Messages: 229

    Decals on a truck = advertising, marketing, more customers, more revenue. Most businesses are in the business to make a profit so a $50 decal is a no brainer and a requirement if you are doing business in the state. Anyone who can afford a ZTR should be able to afford to put a magnet on the side of the truck. Insurance protects you the business operator from damages caused by yourself or employees, $1,000,000.00 liability policy is about $800 a year, again no brainer and a requirement. So if anyone sees my truck out performing lawn services on a piece of property that is not my own and I'm not in compliance with the law fill free to call your local law enforcement agency. From reading some of these experiences from other guys and my own personal experience with the MSP my set up is perfectly legal (insurance, registration),within the GCWR of my vehicle and mechanically sound and safe (pro lockers, gorilla lifts and braided cable securing everything). Where does the guy with the 3/4 ton truck pulling a trailer with (03) full size ATV's, or snowmobiles fall into the picture? Does he need a DOT sticker and a CDL to haul his toys out to play?
  2. Lightningllc

    Lightningllc LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 330

    Ok. When you are for hire you fall into all the Commerical guidelines, If you are registered with the state as a Commerical business you also have to following proper Commerical licensing for your vehicle, from what you have said you are not legal and are gonna get ticketed soon.

    Your time will come.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. JCLawn and more

    JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI
    Messages: 5,281

    Yes they would if it was a business truck. Even if your mowing rentals your using your truck for your rental business and I Bess your writing off your miles with that truck. Even the smallest trailer on a 3/4 ton truck puts it in the DOT number class. Farmers have to comply with this too. They use it to haul their own equipment or property to their own property and get 0 profit. Your truck is illegal no matter what you say unless you haul it to your cottage house which we know is not the case. Just because you had a ignorant officer does not make you legal. I have been hauling my stuff all winter and spring with nothing on my truck and no mowers tied down. I pass at least 1 cop a day. No one says nothing. It does not make it legal. My sign guy was in flordia was the only reason why my truck was not marked. The old mags went to pot.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Lightningllc

    Lightningllc LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 330

    Just do the right thing and follow the system instead of trying to beat it. Your only making things worse for all of us.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Lightningllc

    Lightningllc LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 330

  6. Outdoors_Unlimited

    Outdoors_Unlimited LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 449

    And you'll never completely beat the system. They will catch up to you one day.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Outdoors_Unlimited

    Outdoors_Unlimited LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 449

    I'm gonna take my comments to the DOT thread. If we keep it professional enough, maybe we could point our politicians toward that thread too.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. TheXpress2002

    TheXpress2002 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 98

    No offense, probably not the best idea to bring these sites up. There is a much more professional way of interacting with our representatives. Too much gets said. Lets just keep that bill rolling through how it is for a vote.
  9. Outdoors_Unlimited

    Outdoors_Unlimited LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 449

    That's true, once I went and read that thread I decided it was probably a bad idea.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. TMAC669

    TMAC669 LawnSite Member
    from N/A
    Messages: 229

    Just some info for anyone who doesn't already know.

    Who Needs a CDL?
    Any Michigan resident who intends to operate the following commercial vehicles is required to have a commercial driver license:
    Single Vehicles - Having a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)* of 26,001 pounds or more.

    Combination Vehicles - Towing a trailer or other vehicles with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more when the gross combination weight rating (GCWR)** is 26,001 pounds or more.

    Designed to transport 16 or more people (including the driver)
    Carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding
    *Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the recommended maximum total weight of the vehicle and load as designated by the vehicle manufacturer. The GVWR label is usually found on the driver side door post of the power unit and on the front left side of the trailer. The GVWR should not be confused with the elected gross vehicle weight (GVW) which is declared by the vehicle owner for registration purposes.

    **Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) means the value specified by the manufacturer as the maximum loaded weight of a combination vehicle. In the absence of a label, the GCWR can be calculated by adding the GVWR of the power unit to the GVWR of the vehicle(s) or trailer(s) being towed.

    1. Question: Who needs to obtain a Michigan Intrastate USDOT number?
    Answer: All carriers or operators of commercial motor vehicles that operate solely in the state of Michigan. A Commercial Motor Vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in commerce as defined in Act 181, PA 1963, CFR 49, part 390.5 when the vehicle:
    o Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 10,001 lbs. or more, whichever is greater; or
    o Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
    o Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
    o Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 51 transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter 1, subchapter C.
    2. Question: Who is included in the term commercial motor vehicle in commerce?
    Answer: Anyone who operates one of the above mentioned vehicles. Examples include, but are not limited to: private and for-hire companies, farmers, construction companies, plumbers, landscapers, church buses, and limousines. Recreational and personal use vehicles are excluded.
    3. Question: What are the requirements for lettering my vehicle?
    Answer: 49 CFR part 390.21 states the marking must display the following information:
    o The legal name or a single trade name of the motor carrier operating the self-
    propelled CMV, as listed on the motor carrier identification report (Form MCS–150)
    o The motor carrier identification number issued by the FMCSA, preceded by the letters
    o If the name of any person other than the operating carrier appears on the CMV, the
    name of the operating carrier must be followed by the information required in the
    above paragraphs, and be preceded by the words "operated by"
    o Be in letters that contrast sharply in color with the background on which the letters are
    o Be readily legible, during daylight hours, from a distance of 50 feet (15.24 meters)
    while the CMV is stationary; and
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

Share This Page