1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Milelage Logs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Barkleymut, Aug 3, 2000.

1. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I take 100% as an expense. I've never been audited. My CPA told me to take 100%. I don't keep a log because every mile is a business mile. By the way if you stop at 7-11 thats on the way and doesn't constitute any personal miles.

2. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

That's odd, my CPA told me that the IRS uses one simple rule for business milelage, wheather a lease, itemized deduction or standard 31.5% of milelage --- and that's NO DOCUMENTATION, NO DEDUCTION. He was a ex-IRS agent. I want to get the deduction, and have it hold up if audited, but the amount of data entry is unreal, writing down every stop, every account.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida

3. GrassRoots Lawn Care

In your milelage logs for vehicle expenses, after you record the dialy milelage, what do you list under business use? <p>Something general like &quot;cutting route&quot; or &quot;maintenence routes&quot; or are you more specific; listing all the accounts you visited? What does the IRS require? Daily entry of every account is getting very tedious.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida

4. gusbuster

gusbuster LawnSite Bronze Member

I just keep track of my daily milage. At the end of the year, I use only 85% of the total amount for miles driven. Why 85%? do you stop at a gas station to use the bathroom? IRS cosideres this personal use. Stop at 7-11 for a drink while working, that personal use. Just a safe way to deduct your milage driven should you be audited.<br>John<p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044

5. GrassRoots Lawn Care

Doesn't the IRS need some type of business use listed? You say you just list your milelage and take 85% of that for business use? Is that a guess or has it worked out to that in the past?<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida

6. gusbuster

gusbuster LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike,<br>&gt;&gt;You say you just list your milelage and take 85% of that for business use? Is that a guess or has it worked out to that in the past?<p>My truck is the only vehicle that I drive. It is used purely for work. Like I said in earlier post, stopping to go to the bathroom, stopping at the store, ect.. The IRS considers this as personal use. That's how we come up with the 85% number. I do keep a daily log of miles driven per day. It's to much of a pain to keep track of my milage going from one house to another as the irs requires. Hope that helps.<br>John<p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: gusbuster