1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

miles per gallon

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by musselman, Jul 10, 2008.

1. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I have a 2003 1 ton dually duramax king cab with a 10 foot flatbed. I pull a 12,000 lbs. rated trailor 18 foot dual axle. In the trailor I have 1 or 2 60 inch hustlers one is a cat diesel. (I always have 1 on the trailor and 2 on when we do large school grounds) a walker, and a 32 inch exmark viking walk behind and various trimmers and edgers, blowers ect. about half the time I full of grass clippings on the truck. I havent checked my milage for awhile and this week I kept track Im getting 14 MPG. Is this about right? I thought I was doing better than that when I first got the truck...but I cant remember if I checked with a load or empty. Anyways just wanted to see if Im in the ball park or If I need to do something to get better. Thanks

2. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

im doing good if i can get 10 out of my older Cummins.

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

When I'm loaded for spraying in the bed, have the mowing trailer, and running my A/C - I get a wallet-bleeding 7mpg.

4. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

On my last fill up - pulling 16 tandum, Hustler Z, Quick 36, couple trimmers, blower, etc. and some stuff in the bed - 22 gal fills it, got 196 miles for a total of 8.9 mpg. Checking on this tank too.

Seems like I was getting closer to 250 miles the last time I checked, over a year ago.

5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

That sounds about right for all the "stuff" your towing. You could find a scale to get your real weight, and then you can better judge your MPG vs weight hauled.

6. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I have an 04 Duramax with the Edge chip and am getting only 14 around town pulling a 16 foot trailer with 2 mowers. I would say that you are doing well. Does your truck have a programmer?

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That sounds a bit on the high side unless it's a diesel ...
    Or maybe if you have LRR tires, possibly on a one ton you do, still sounds kind of high thou.

8. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a big help if you read the post, unless you don't realize a Duramax is a diesel... :)

Musselman, I think the only problem you have is that you can do math and tell the truth. 14 mpg sounds about right for a load. If you want to improve your mileage, the easiest and most common way is to just LIE about it!:laugh:

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

thats real good for all that crap your towin! Thats about what i get towin with my single wheel.

10. ACE

ACE LawnSite Member

I have 92 Dodge diesel 250. Use to get 16 to 17 with 16' trailer with equipment. Now Im getting 15 even. Think I need work on engine. I parked the box truck diesel because of higher insurance and 10 MPG. I hate using the trailer and have thought about telling every oe to start coughing up more money.