1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Milorganite or Lesco 46-0-0

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Methodical2, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Methodical2

Methodical2 LawnSite Member

Which would you apply as a winterizing fertilizer? I know there are others out there, but curious about these.

I know some say to not use Milorganite because it's benefits are not gained when it gets colder and the cost factor, however, what's your thought using it as a dormant feeding for next spring.

Has anyone every used Milorganite as the last feeding and had good results the following season? Curious.

Or, would it be better to use the Lesco product for the last season feeding when the lawn stops growing?

Any thoughts on using a combination of these items as a last season application?

Thanks...

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure. I am doing a test with Milorganite at 3, 6 and 9 ounces on small square plots this week. Also testing Scotts Turfbuilder at much lower rates. I will watch for effects this fall. Temperature is 42 now. I will watch for signs of snowmold and get photos this spring. I will try to get soil temperatures.

3. Methodical2

That sounds like a plan. Curious to see the results.

4. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Bronze Member

The nitrogen is much more important at the end of the year. With that said I would use a 32 0 7 or 24 0 8.

Methodical2 and ron mexico75 like this.
  5. Marine03112

6. Marine03112

7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

I choose the best of both. Screamin Green provides some quick release enhanced efficiency N (higher % is absorbed by roots) plus organic matter which provides slow release N and the other benefits of OM. The result is a quick green up in the spring without pushing top growth.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

In my experience, problems with snowmold have been minor over the years. I have seen it on perennial rye a few times--particularly where snow drifts were deep next to a wooden fence. Not worth worrying about. Recovered on its own. I am not convinced that fall nitrogen causes more snowmold. Nor potassium.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Marine03112 likes this.
  9. Methodical2

I agree Riggle. I have never experience any issues myself in Maryland on my lawn before the renovation.

Thanks everyone for chiming in and thanks for the links Marine03112. I appreciated it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    springfield_pest and Marine03112 like this.
  10. Methodical2

I've heard of this, but have never seen it in my area.