Milwaukee m18 or m12 grease gun

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by brichter14, Apr 14, 2018 at 9:23 PM.

1. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

im tired of my old gun. I have both platforms and I'm wondering who here uses what. The m18 is 190$ and m12 is 117$. M12 is obviously smaller and lighter. Which one?

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't choot full auto very often, but when I do, I prefer the M3 A1.

[​IMG]

Mark Oomkes and JayinKs like this.
  3. prezek

prezek LawnSite Senior Member

Never had the m12, but the m18 is top notch. We love it.

4. brichter14

Do you find yourself setting how many squirts or how fast you pump it? The m12 is just squeeze and go. M18 has options

5. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't own either (I use a pneumatic grease gun), so take my comments for what they're worth:
    The M12 advertises 8000 PSI, whereas the M18 claims 10,000 PSI. IMHO, I don't think that 2000 PSI difference is all that significant. The M18 also gets you a 4' hose (instead of 3'), and an LED light, plus a high flow mode. The light seems like a great idea. The locking trigger and high flow mode are something that most people won't need or want (but if you're one of those people, then the choice is clear).

When I bought my cordless caulk gun, I had to choose between M12 and M18. At the time, I wanted something that had the ability to dispense high viscosity windshield adhesive. That was pushing the limits of the M12's power, so I went with an M18. I don't regret it, but I will say that every time I pick it up to use regular caulk or construction adhesive, I'm reminded of how awfully awkward it is. However, I'm not so sure that is all that much of an issue, since this is a two handed tool, with the weight going in the hand that doesn't need to precisely guide the chuck.

I will say that while I normally use the 4.0 size batteries in my M18 tools (I just got some 5.0 packs), the half sized batteries are much better in my caulk gun. That really cuts the weight.

Do you plan to put this in a mobile toolbox, where space is at a premium? Do you plan to carry it around a lot, where weight may be an issue?

6. tundraman

tundraman LawnSite Senior Member

I have almost every m18 tool made including the grease gun that is great. Why even mess with the 12-volt stuff?

7. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

My M12 drill I have will do 90% of the work my M18 can do, and it just fits perfectly in the palm of my hand. The M12 bandsaw can be used for one handed cuts (of pipe/conduit/unistrut), where the M18 bandsaw simply cannot be one-handed.

My M18 impact driver will shoot lags, but in fairness, if you're mainly using it on screws, the M12 Fuel version is at least as good, if not better.

So, why? Because the M12 gear is often actually quite good.

8. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

Love the M12 line and the grease gun is a workhorse that I use a lot daily. I had already had a bunch of M12 tools and batteries so it was a no brainer . Actually have 2 of the grease guns ,one for the shop /service van and one for the home garage. When working on the road the size of the M12 lines compactness was my main buying point as I have a lil bag full of different tools that’s my GO bag. In that lil bag I have 90 degree drill, reg drill, flashlight ,3/8 ratchet,3/8 impact ,1/4”impact and the m12 radio . Every tool has a battery as well as a couple spares. No way I could carry the same amount of 18v stuff within the same footprint.

I do like the 18volts bells and whistles though and would love to have one lol.

rlitman likes this.
  9. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

I have the M12 grease gun, haven’t had any problems with it. We really like it.

10. brichter14

I think I'll go with the m12 because I don't need the frills of the m18.

However I love the m18 stuff. I do a lot of fences and i love the circular saw and of course the m18 driver. I also have...

M18 ...
    String trimmer
    Vacuum
    Radio that's a charger and Bluetooth with USB hookups
    Angle grinder
    Hammer drill
    Hackzall

Only m12 I have is the 3/8 impact. I keep it in the truck at all times.