Milwaukee M18 Quik-Lok Trimmer

Jashley73

LawnSite Member
Anyone using one of the Milwaukee M18, Quik-Lok trimmers?

I'm considering one of these units for use as an edger & pole hedge trimmer, but also as a backup or 2nd trimmer.

Home Depot is running a promo on these. If you buy the trimmer kit and attachments, you can get up to $200 off. So the powerhead, trimmer attachment, edger, pole-saw, hedge trimmers, charger & 8ah battery, would be $526 before tax. Open a credit card for another $50 off. That's a lot of kit for the money.

Milwaukee M18 FUEL 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless String Trimmer with QUIK-LOK Attachment Capability and 8.0 Ah Battery-2825-21ST - The Home Depot

In the case of the Milwaukee too, there's aftermarket batteries available if you're a cheapskate like me.

How is the powerhead? I don't expect it to be SUPER powerful, but specifically, how does it do with the edger attachment? OK power for cutting in some sidewalk edging if needed, or is that a hard NO...?

I considered getting a Stihl Kombi system, but there's no comparison in the cost of the cordless powerhead and batteries. (May still get a Stihl Kombi later for the KM131 powerhead...)

Is the Milwaukee unit "good enough" for light duty weekly maintenance? Or is it a waste, and should I just save coin for a HD gas unit...?

Edit: I'm not really interested in another brand cordless unit, unless someone can make a VERY STRONG case for it. It seems like the Milwaukee unit has enough attachments to make the system worthwhile, at an attractive enough price, and their battery platform is going to be around for a while too, so long-term support seems safe.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I have the m18 string trimmer and hedge trimmer.

Hedge trimmer sips batteries and lasts for a long time.
String trimmer goes through a 9ah battery in about 45min on low speed. Low speed is more than adequate for trimming maintained areas. High speed is actually quite powerful.

I have a km131 and overgrown edges slow it down a little bit. I suspect batteries would go quickly putting that additional strain on them

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Unless you already have extra large ah batteries you'll end up spending as much on the m18 set up as you would on the stihl kombi when all is said and done.

OP
J

Jashley73

LawnSite Member
Unless you already have extra large ah batteries you'll end up spending as much on the m18 set up as you would on the stihl kombi when all is said and done.

I've thought about that very thing.

My only argument in favor of coughing up the coin for the batteries, is that at least it'll be quieter, and my guess, easier to manage for newbies.

My wife helps out on occasion, and no doubt would use the hedge trimmers.

I feel like the battery edger would be easier for a newb to deal with.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I absolutely love my M18 trimmer for two reasons. It is super quiet and very has little vibration.

I can weed whip at 10 when my kids are sleeping if I want to. I have nerve damage in my arms from repetitive work and vibration is the worst thing you can do for nerve damage.
I can feel a significant difference in my arms after using a battery operated one versus gas

Fatwood

LawnSite Senior Member
I have this and where it excels is the hedge trimmer and the pole saw. Everything else will wreck a 9 amp hour battery in no time flat. I don't think that battery powered trimmers and edgers (blowers too) are ready for prime time. The number of batteries that you would have to have to run a lawn care business would far outweigh the price of just buying a commercial trimmer and a commercial edger.

Top Forums