1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mini-clover and herbicides

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RigglePLC, Nov 24, 2018.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The question: Can any herbicide be applied to a lawn that includes Mini-clover to kill the weeds without killing the Mini-clover? This Mini-clover was purchased at:
    outsidepride.com

For comparison tomato seeds were included, as pretend weeds. This preliminary test was conducted inside--except for the spraying.
    So far the untreated control looks the best. The light--mainly from a west window was very low. 3w/2 is half strength 3 -way.
    SA400004x.jpg

More later.

2. RigglePLC

Oddly, I found a herbicide that is safe for alfalfa, soybeans and clover. However, it is not labeled for home lawns.

3. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

What is it labeled for?

I had a client last year remove thier grass and plant Dutch clover in it's place.

4. RigglePLC

5. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

There is no restrictions on using 24DB on residential property so you'd be able to spray a clover lawn with it here in Idaho with some of the products that are labelled for general legumes.

How did your clients lawn turn out? Do they ever mow it?

6. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

I went back and checked on it 3 weeks after sowing seed. It was all coming up nice at that time. Have not been back now that it's the off season. It was just a small front yard. (>250sqft). They plan on having me plant a few native wildflowers and the like this spring. So I should get a look then. These people are on the more extreme end of the organic crowd. So most likely will not be using any chemical. Back yard is all raised beds for vegetables.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  7. RigglePLC

Is the clover ordinary white Dutch clover? Micro-clover? Mini-clover from Outsidepride com? So in theory--the clover will bloom with white flowers in June.
    Outsidepride claims their clover does not bloom heavily, and it is dense enough to resist most weeds. In theory, it will not need nitrogen--so you should apply phos and potassium (unless soil tests show phosphorus is not needed.) Fert should be a light ap of granular potassium, maybe 0-0-60. Maybe including iron and micronutrients. Ironite granular is OK, but a liquid iron chelate is better.
    Probably your treatment should include 10 minutes of hand weeding each time; keep out the dandelions, violets and oxalis.

Perhaps you can earn some extra dollars by overseeding with Mini-clover every spring--to build density.
    Planting native wildflowers, good idea. Not sure what kind of flowers can withstand mowing. Sedum? Sweet alyssum? Mowing at 4 inches?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018 at 1:26 PM
  8. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

It just plan old Dutch white clover.

Hand weeding is already on the books for them.