1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mini ex purchase dilema

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AWJ Services, Nov 19, 2013.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

So the TB260 will be about 77k with 3 buckets. I can sell teh KX161 and put that 30k down and owe about 50 k on the new machine or I can keep the KX161 and buy a used 8 ton machine with about 2000 hours for around 50k.
    Thoughts?

2. Cornell

Cornell LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Can you keep both machines busy? I think that would make a huge difference in keeping the Kubota or not.

3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have anything to move an 8ton machine yet? I thought all you had was an F250 and a gooseneck..
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would trade. Like Cornell says, unless you have enough to keep both moving. While your still developing that mulcher market, I would get the TK and replace the Kubota. There are many 8 ton machines that don't make as much flow as the latest machines (I am assuming you want the 8 ton to run the mulcher primarily). That seems like a lot for that machine. My TB153FR was mid 60's with one bucket 2' .

5. AWJ Services

from Ga

Takeuechi added a new dealer that took over my territory and I have no idea if this is a good price?

6. AWJ Services

from Ga

The machines would be too compliment each other. The 6 ton machines will dig septic trenches here in Georgia but on some jobs they do labor. They will get the job done but are at there limit with what I do, however sometimes the size makes it ireplacable. The 8 ton will increase productivity when needed and also have increased lifting ability. I also would eventually like too expand and have 2 crews but that is in the future.

7. AWJ Services

from Ga

I am buying a bigger truck at the first of the year and have already acquired a trailer but yes I will need a bigger truck and trailer.

8. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

If you're getting a bigger truck and trailer 50k would get you in a decent 130 or 160.

9. AWJ Services

from Ga

I have thought about that but that machine would be too big for my septic work and I unload on roads a lot. Of course I may be wrong on it being too big so I need too consider it.u
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I am not as knowledgeable as most the guys here. But I would think, unless you wanted to set another crew up exactly like you're set up now, you'd go with a machine that was substantially larger or smaller.

Ideally I would have a 5-6ton and a 10-12ton excavator. Just because I don't have a need for two machines of almost the same size.
    Posted via Mobile Device