Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Lifting with a excavator is no different than lifting with a crane keep the load low so if you have to drop the load you don't have to go far.

Rocks in the 3200lb range your going to be using the blade and bucket to carry them or roll them into place.

A job like that you would be setting the large rocks first and build the rest around the rocks. A 161 with 3200lb rocks will be a grunt.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read the lift chart but I do not see how it can lift what the chart says.

I lifted the 3000 pound rocks up from behind me and swung them around the side and then lowered them into place.
I was on the pond falls so I was going up an incline.
I have a hyd thumb so that will take some weight off the rating.
I ended up sometimes getting the rocks out so far from the center of the machine the hyd would not hold them in place.

The rocks could not be scratched so we used slings too hoist them with.
I have a few pics I will post later.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Lifting with a excavator is no different than lifting with a crane keep the load low so if you have to drop the load you don't have to go far.

Rocks in the 3200lb range your going to be using the blade and bucket to carry them or roll them into place.

A job like that you would be setting the large rocks first and build the rest around the rocks. A 161 with 3200lb rocks will be a grunt.
I don't think so. A crane has a winch, and that is much easier to go up/down than a hoe any day. Every time the boom or stick is moved to go up/down, the center of the hook moves also, unlike a crane. I don't think a 161 is going to lift 3200 lbs. I ran a 121 for a while, and it would not even pick up the machine with the blade down all the way.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think a 161 is going to lift 3200 lbs. I ran a 121 for a while, and it would not even pick up the machine with the blade down all the way.
Well it did.
How do you think the rocks got put in place?

That looks like fun. What kind of liner and how thick is it? What did you choose for your pond bottom?
It is another Landscaping company that I do excavating for that is doing all of the installation.
The liner is made out of rubber and looks pretty thick.
They used a one piece liner for the whole pond.It has a fabric underneath for protection.
They line the bottom with river rocks and boulders and have ledges underwater for plants too sit on.
They use 2 10k GPH pumps.
I will get some better pics today.
The plants will be installed next week.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
We do the pond install also or dig and set for ponder's. One little tip we have learned is to put foam board underneath the larger bottom rocks that contact the liner - saves the off chance of rock penetration. Seems to have worked well over the last couple years we have been doing that.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Holy thread revival, Batman!

a business friend of mine that has let me rent his Kx 161-3 let me know recently he’s thinking of selling it. I was googling what the lift capacity was; I’ve picked up some large stuff with it, but never known what it’s technically rated for. Google seems to only find the Metric ratings

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.