Mini skid to man hours

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by rclawn, Jun 9, 2019.

1. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hey all, I recently have purchased my first mini skid, SK650.... love it! I bid by the job, never hourly, but wanted to know what you guys think and forgive me if my wording is confusing.

How many man hours is equivalent to the work a mini skid does? AKA an hour on the machine is equal to 4 man hours without it? etc... I know it can vary whether I am doing a river rock install or using the grapple for huge logs etc... But I have found I can do the work of 4 men in one hour with the machine. Does this sound right?

Cam15 likes this.
  2. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I’d be surprised if it’s not more. You’ve got a 30 hp diesel that never gets tired and a machine that lifts nearly a ton. I’d hope you can outwork a man more than 4-1. But what’s the point of the comparison? The point of owning equipment is to get done faster and be able to charge more competitive rates.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    BrandonV likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Oh I know, I charge $400 a ton on colorado river rock, I charge $1k to remove a 30’ maple , topsoil $120 a ton etc. I haven’t changed my pricing at all and i’m definitely making more $. Just want to know how much lol

Cam15 likes this.
  4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Every job is different - but I'd say for us - easy 5-6 men to mini. Ill send 1 guy out with mini. tree fork, auger, bucket, and a tree. 1 guy. I machine. Few attachments. That used to be a 3 man job - B&B trees are heavy. Did a hole. Set tree, not liking how it sits, hole not deep enough, etc. haul dirt away, maybe mulch it, clean up around it - mini any day with 1 guy.

5. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Unless your only competition is the Amish (I know some Amish do use equipment now), you are not competing against human labor, you are competing against other equipment operators. But yes, an hour on a machine can save a day of handwork in certain circumstances. A lot depends on how good the operator is or how physical fit a laborer is on "equipment time vs. labor time" to complete a task.

I often look at things the way you are here, a few hundred dollars for an operator and machine to do a project in a couple hours is cheap compared to a day or better of hard labor to complete the project. You just cannot forget that there are other guys with equipment.

$1k to remove a 30ft tree is really good money, unless it was a hazard tree (hanging over a house or something). Probably only get a 1/3 of that price in my area.