Mini skidsteer HELP

EverestLandscape

LawnSite Member
Guys, I've made the decision to get a mini skidsteer...Ditch witch, toro, Vermeer, bobcat whatever. I need one asap so Im just looking for a deal now and then upgrade later.
My main question is GAS or DIESEL. Ill mainly be using the bucket, forks and a dozer blade in the winter and stump grinder. But I will be using a soil cultivator and trencher one in a blue moon.
Like I said brand doesnt matter right now because I need one but I will upgrade later.
Please help me. Thanks in advance guys.

PetersPatioLandscape

LawnSite Member
We bought a used Vermeer S650TX with 88 hrs on it this spring with a Kubota diesel in it. I never thought we would use it as much as we do. Plenty of power and can lift a fair amount. I would buy a diesel.

OP
E

EverestLandscape

LawnSite Member
We bought a used Vermeer S650TX with 88 hrs on it this spring with a Kubota diesel in it. I never thought we would use it as much as we do. Plenty of power and can lift a fair amount. I would buy a diesel.

Awesome thank you. I had "bought" a ditch witch sk650 kubota diesel in Connecticut...went to pick it up and the guy sold it. I was pissed to say the least so now I really need one. Thanks for your input.
Posted via Mobile Device

SRT8

LawnSite Bronze Member
We have a Bobcat MT52 with the tiller and trencher attachment, they are awesome. We were using it today to prep for a sod install.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens

LawnSite Fanatic
We have a Bobcat MT52 with the tiller and trencher attachment, they are awesome. We were using it today to prep for a sod install.
Posted via Mobile Device

Only thing I hate about the bobcat is that the attachment plate is different than every one else.

We bought a Vermeer S600 TX, used with a gas motor something like 5 years ago. The money I saved purchased the backhoe attachment I use on it. Been invaluable. Still have the thing and never had much issue with it.

Vermeer stopped putting the gas motor in them though. It is a bit less powerful than a diesel, but it's never been a big issue for us.

I would stay away from Toro or Bobcat as they are walk behind units. I'd stick with a Vermeer or Ditch Witch, and that decision would be based on the closest dealer for parts.

We went with a Vermeer as we have a dealer 15 minutes away.

buzzyng

LawnSite Member
We use a Dingo 425 (gas) and have about 6 attachments. Love it and use it way more than ever thought. Never any issues and the few times I wish I had more ummf (i.e. diesel), found a way to make it work.

The toro has the ride on platform that is nice but it's nice to be able to get on the ground sometimes as well.

PetersPatioLandscape

LawnSite Member
In the time we have had ours I cant think of 1 time I would have preferred walking instead of riding. Not saying there won't be a time but it hasn't happened yet. Plus I make a good counter weight.

White Gardens

LawnSite Fanatic
One thing I wanted to mention, but forgot....

The ditch witch and Vermeer are going to have the highest dump height. You might want to consider this for what ever primary truck or trailer you are dumping into.

Again we went with the Vermeer as we use a Kodiax for our primary hauler. A dingo or bobcat wouldn't have had the required height we needed.

I bashed on the Bobcat due to the odd attachment plate. Our rental houses locally have tillers, post hole diggers, harley rake, trenchers and such with the dingo mounting plate. This keeps us from buying a multitude of attachments that we only use once or twice a year as we just go rent them when need be.

Regardless of what brand, style or model you buy, it's going to save a lot of time and energy.

Top Forums