1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

mini tiller

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gunner27, Mar 24, 2005.

1. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I did a search on mini tillers, many differant opinions. I thought hard about the stihl yard boss but ruled that out based on the fact that the powerhead they use is the same they use on their homeowner trimmer unit. I have it narrowed down to a mantis 2 cycle unit or the echo unit. They are identical other than the color and the price. (i think, unless someone can prove me wrong?) I am going to go with the echo. Any thoughts?

2. Go for the Green

Go for the Green LawnSite Member

Actually I have tried both over the years and the Echo lasted longer than the Mantis because of the handle set up. Great digging tines as well.

The Echo has a cross bar in the center of the handle which gives better support and makes it last longer without bending/breaking.

These little tillers are awesome! Major time saver!

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used mini-tillers before and in my opinion, they're just toys. They bounce off the rocky soil here, and barely scratch the surface, ineffective on clay or rocky soil. I'd go for a bigger tiller like a Troy-Bilt front tine for small jobs and rear tine for larger ones.

4. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

What mini tiller have you used? I have heard they are a real time saver as opposed to the hand tools.

5. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

I think both are about equal but the mantis tore up grass alot faster when we put in a small flowerbed (rented 2 mini-tillers for $40 instead of the big tiller for $75)

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I love my Mantis.......I have used to to edge sidewalks and driveways, and even flowerbeds. Definitely a good tool.

Derek

7. Go for the Green

The Echo and the Mantis are EXACTLY the same except for the handles. How could the Mantis "tear up the grass much faster??"

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

yea but does Echo have a lifetime warantee on their tines like Mantis does?

9. Go for the Green

Yep, they sure do. Lifetime tine warranty on Echo tillers plus a lifetime warranty on the ignition module!

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Do you happen to know if there is a big price diff in the two?I'm in the market for a replacement.