Minimum amount of seed test applied after a core Aeration

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mr Efficiency, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency LawnSite Senior Member

Did a test today on my back yard, I did a single pass core aeration then applied only about 1lb of seed per 1,000sqft overall and a little extra in any bare spots. 8-9 lbs of seed applied for 7,500 sft
    Seed I used was Lesco metro mix, # 11 setting on Lesco push Spreader, holes not open much. I didn't check with key gauge but only #setting on the Spreader. IMG_20171014_113756337_HDR.jpg
    During applying the seed at that very light rate, not once did the flow slow, clog or Not flow evenly or once did I have to bounce the spreader to make seed flow. Was only possible because of the Permagreen Breakthru Agitaor installed in this 80 lb lesco push spreader. Conditions were damp and misty also, no cover used on the spreader. IMG_20171014_114146963_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171014_114243227_HDR.jpg
    Pict of the seed coverage, one spot in center of lawn, no extra applied to spot IMG_20171014_113923148_HDR.jpg

Will give update in few weeks how test works. My back lawn is pretty thick to begin with.

phasthound, hort101 and KerbDMK like this.
  2. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

a little wet there i did one like that the other day

Mr Efficiency likes this.
  3. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Senior Member

Dang, you get some nice close-ups with that camera of yours!

4. Rick Engasser

Rick Engasser LawnSite Member

Thanks for sharing, by chance did you leave an area unseeded or not aerated as a point of comparison? There does not seem to be much for photo comparisons for aeration and overseeding where half of a yard was done and and half was not. Pretty understandable why most people would be reluctant to do this though. I ran out some leftover compost on part of my lawn and you could tell right where it was applied. I thought Cornell Cooperative Extension did some comparisons in three different areas around NY state at one time.

What core aerator did you use? Just did a lawn yesterday, front and side yard with a old school Ryan behind my tractor, and the back yard with a Turfco Turnaire. Spacing pattern is different between the two and I will try to do a comparison at some point between the two. The front lawn was infested with grubs and it looked pretty bad where the roots were damaged.

5. Mr Efficiency

Yes, I did leave an area untouched for control area.
    To left of yellow flags is core Aeration with light seeding, between yellow and white flags is just core aeration and to right of white flags untouched. IMG_20171014_153036396_HDR.jpg
    Used an older 1995 model Turfco walk behind core aerator, 28" IMG_20171014_153702111_HDR.jpg

hort101 likes this.
  6. Mr Efficiency

7. Rick Engasser

Rick Engasser LawnSite Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Thank You, this type of information is very valuable. I decided to try doing half a section of our side yard with two different aerators. My neighbor came over and I offered to do the same for his lawn which has not been aerated (27 year old house) so we should have another scenario to compare. The ryan has the same spoons as the turfco, but they are set further apart and in a larger diameter cast wheels so they image.jpg go deeper. The turfco has new spoons on it, the grass appears to be less damaged, but Is deeper still going to be better?

8. Mr Efficiency

Deeper holes, 1.5" to 3"+ are always better for roots and to help air get deep but holes too deep are Not good for over seeding I have found over the years. If holes are too deep when applying grass seed after C.A, seeds seem to have a hard time growing. 1/2- 1.5" I feel are about where you want to go for best results.
    There is probably some Study results out there with documented info on that from one of the University's.

Rick Engasser likes this.
  9. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Chicago

Didn't riggleplc do a small scale test on this? I could be wrong but I pretty sure I saw a post from him about core depth and seeding.

10. Mr Efficiency

He might of but I never seen the one he did. I did see test plots he did on seeding with raking.