Minimum Charge

Marshall's Yard Service

LawnSite Senior Member
My minimum for now is $25

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
Can't keep on estimates for either of my companies...well, actually one is my wife's, but...had a good employee put in his 2 weeks. 8-5 job, no holidays, no snow...can't compete with that.

Minimums are going up. Hourly rates are going up. The labor shortage is really starting to suck. Supply and demand.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Let's go back 15 years... Every customer of mine was weekly. Never complained about the price. Which is dang near what it is now but dang near everything is every other week. I just don't get what happened. I understand the crash of real estate and anyone that could swing a hammer was now a lawn mower. But I'm still confused.
Technology costs.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
economy is trashed. it's disguised to look like it's doing good but in fact it's not doing well at all. i've lost 10 customers this year. i've never lost that many in a single year in the past 10 years i've been doing this. normally i may lose 2-3 or none at all. why would i all of a sudden lose 10 in one year out of the blue? something is going on for sure. i think people are running out of "extra money" and the first thing they cut out is lawn mowing when that happens.

i did however gain 7 new customers this year which is pretty good. i normally gain anywhere from 5-10 each year. just seems like you're lucky to break even now days. it's almost impossible to get ahead...

it's not just this industry either. it's all of them. it's impossible to get ahead. they want it that way. that's how they keep control of everything. it's a conspiracy. :laugh:

prices for everything are beyond out of control at this point. one thing i don't get is why people have no problem paying $100 a month for a cell phone bill but when it comes to mowing they struggle to pay $70-$80 a month for it. bi-weekly yards at $35-$40 a cut.
Many prioritize entertainment over food.

Andrew H

LawnSite Gold Member
$35 used to be our minimum, however, we won’t take a Lawn now for under $45 unless we do the lawn next door or across the street. Drive times kill you. Starting to drop some of the 35$ lawns.

Jasburrito

LawnSite Senior Member
I just added mowing by a customers dock 1/8 mile from house for $15. Does that count? Also added my highest this week of $80. I do similar yards for 45. Sometimes ya just got to bid um high and see if they bite. Cheers

Oxmow

LawnSite Bronze Member
Seriously...25??? that was like 20 years ago! How long have you been mowing? Are you still in high school? Are you trying to make it up in "volume"? If you charge even 30 will your customers drop you? Could you be the guy everyone complains about when the word "lowballer" comes up?

Edit: Please don't tell me you did it to get more customers...it should never be a race to the bottom!

Top Forums