1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Minimum Charge

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by BigJlittleC, May 21, 2019.

1. Tn Turf

Tn Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is more about being efficient and less windshield time. If the truck tires are spinning, I am losing money; if the mower blades are spinning, I am making money.

But reading the prices thrown around in this thread, that's about what most guys charge in my area. We are higher than all our competitors and, honestly, for good reason. I'm not sure where you're at, but the service industry in general is atrocious here -- absolutely awful. People are happy to pay higher prices for quality service and peace of mind.

In my area, our struggles is finding good quality and dependable help. It's next to impossible. But I am blessed with having a good core of guys/girls, thankfully my girlfriend has a big family who were raised with farmer-like-work-ethics. Which also gives me an edge over the competition.

2. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, and that's how you make money. You really get into the scheduling and planning, and that is a great way to maximize profit. And I don't get too many that demand a day either. It always seems that people want Thursday and Friday. Sorry lol...I actually used to be overloaded on those two days. Since I left the business full time one time, and got back in full time again, i quit all that. I actually take Friday off now, or use it as a catch up day. But all this wanting to be on Friday stuff had to stop. I sort of understand, but the world doesn't work that way lol

3. landscaper22

I guess I am only really scattered on Wednesdays, but I dread that day. I want to be out mowing, not burning fuel in the truck at 9 mpg lol..And even that day works out okay, but we sort of combined 2 routes since I got extra help. It is about about 20 mins in one direction, back sort of where I started by lunch (near my house, then in the opposite direction about 20 mins. Of course there are yards all along the way, but still that is a lot of traveling when you add up the windshield time. Well that's really every other Wednesday that it is that bad, but still I just feel I don't make as much on that day with a route so spread out.

sjessen likes this.
  4. Elite Lawn Pros

Elite Lawn Pros LawnSite Member

Idk if you use anything but Yardbook has a free version with routing. May help you plan your days better.

landscaper22 likes this.
  5. landscaper22

I don't, but I may look into it. I keep everything as close as I can. My area is just scattered. Before I got out of business the first time, it was slightly tighter, but I love all of my customers now, so I hate to let anyone go to keep the route tighter. Thanks for the advice I may look into Yardbook.

Elite Lawn Pros likes this.
  6. Elite Lawn Pros

I’m not saying let them go but you may which a few for their days of service. The program places all the customer on a map and you can build routes from there. You know your business better than any of us. A customer management system is the way to go! It will change yours and there life. I currently use it but moving to Jobber which is another CSM but a little better and more expensive

landscaper22 likes this.
  7. landscaper22

That sounds good. I will check it out. Ideally I would love to spend a day in one subdivision. I just have not been able to get that lucky lol

8. Elite Lawn Pros

Sorry about the misspelling typing while mowing lol *may have to Switch a few on their days of service*

landscaper22 likes this.
  9. Tyler Moss

Tyler Moss LawnSite Member
    from Topeka

I started out this year with a "I wont have a minimum" mentality. So far I have 1 $30 lawn thats been a friend for years and the rest are $35 and up. Not because that's what my minimum is but because that's what I thought they were worth. I have yet to find a lawn that i think i can mow for $25 and make money on it