Mirimichi or Compost?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Reliable 1, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Reliable 1

Reliable 1 LawnSite Member

In the past, I've topdressed with compost. Has anyone used this product? I'm looking to top dress several of my lawns after I aerate or slit seed them using a 1/4 inch.

2. WIgolfsuper

WIgolfsuper LawnSite Member

Well, I see by the lack of responses there are not many people us Mirimichi in their programs. It's very very expensive for the customer to buy. The concept of the products they use are great but nothing really ground breaking. I have been looking at offering more organic options for some of my more green customers and have looked closely at Mirimichi. Not to impressed with the price but the products look to work good.

hort101 likes this.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

What’s mirimichi
    Sounds like something I’ll put on my Thai food, like sriracha

WIgolfsuper likes this.
  4. WIgolfsuper

WIgolfsuper LawnSite Member

LMAO. Its a organic producer of products like fertilizer, pest control, soil amendments.

5. Reliable 1

Or it could be that a lot of LCO's have never heard of it. Biochar may be more known throughout the industry vice the name Mirimichi. It's not a product for every homeowner just like every homeowner won't pay for top dressing either. I have used compost primarily but also have used Mirimichi on a few of my customers lawns this fall.

WIgolfsuper likes this.
  6. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

7. Reliable 1

I get good results with Mirimichi Green too. But the question for me is, is it worth the cost and does it improve the overall health of the soil long term. Can you see a noticeable difference with the soil on the lawns you’ve used your product on?

8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I think it's great that the organic market is taking off, but I've seen so many "Oh this is the best stuff ever" products hit the market and then poof are gone.

9. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I definitely see a difference. I have been using it on a soccer field that was constructed about 7 years ago with the worst possible soil. In the beginning the water would not drain from a rainfall. It literally would stay saturated for a week. Now it's maybe a day or two. It's still a work in progress but the soil and look of the grass is much better. If you are interested call Joe from the place that is on the link I posted before. He is nice and honest.

10. Tidewater Greenworks

Tidewater Greenworks LawnSite Member

It does what you'd expect from a high carbon product. It's super expensive to use at top-dressing quantities. I've used it a few times for sod installations at 200#/1k and I prefer it to compost/topsoil regrind. My results were faster root growth, less visible sign of transplant stress and better nutrient retention (longer green from initial fertilizer application).

For top dressing 1/4" you'd have to put it down at what, like 1.5k#/1k? Compared with compost it's just not competitive. Maybe it works better? How much better, what studies have been done to show the difference?

I can't justify the price to my customers for a top dressing application compared with compost. If they're willing to spend that kind of money they can spend it on a nice motorized reel mower or fungicide or probably a dozen other things that will make a bigger difference.