1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

mixing grease?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by shane772, Mar 22, 2012.

1. shane772

shane772 LawnSite Member

I had a guy remove/sharpen/replace my blades on my Ferris Hydrocut a few days ago. When I walked out to pay him he had greased all the zerks as a "bonus" to me. He added 5 trigger pulls of white lithium grease and I had been using green automotive grease. Is this going to be a problem? Do I need to remove everything and clean out and start fresh? I hope not, lol. Thanks for any input. :usflag:

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Bearings don't know white from green, Just keep mow'n.....

3. shane772

shane772 LawnSite Member

Thanks, I appreciate the input!

4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Hope you don't mind me piggybacking another grease question on, but since you mentioned Ferris, and grease types, I thought I'd ask...

I'm completely new to walk behinds.
    Just bought my first - a Ferris 36" Comfort Control DD. In the manual it states:
    Color me stupid, but what is "red grease"?

Is that a "Ferris" grease, or is it a common type of grease that can be purchased anywhere?
    When the dealer prepped it for me the day I picked it up, he had pumped it full of what is obviously a red-colored grease.

I don't mind paying a bit more for it if it's "better" than the lithium grease, as I want to take good care off my new mower - I just don't have any experience with grease types.

Help a tard out, wont'cha please? :eek:

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Any automotive high speed high temp bearing grease will work just fine in spindles and even non high speed bearing applications (caster wheels/idler arm pivot joints etc.). So no need for two guns with different greases.

Color of the grease depends on the brand/company, I've seen red/white/tan/green/black and use blue in which all are high temp bearing greases.

Sooo, Just pick a color and grease-r-up !

6. shane772

shane772 LawnSite Member

OakNut, I just bought some grease yesterday from the auto parts store, it's Red N' tacky made by Lucas. It had the highest dropping point of all I looked at and that's why I bought it.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1865/grease-compatibility

8. shane772

shane772 LawnSite Member

That is a great chart . . . unfortunately I don't know what complex/whatever he used, only that it was white and I associate that with "white lithium" grease