Mixing herbicides . Grateful for Any and all help.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HenryB, Jul 12, 2019.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking for some advice on mixing herbicides for example Q4 and Dimension so I'm not chasing crabgrass all summer or maybe even horsepower and quinclorac, are there any really nice mid summer mixes and anything I should be weary of that do not mix well thanks in advance.
    I was talking to a guy today who makes his own summer mix I believe it was Acclaim Lesco eliminate and sedgehammer sounded pretty advanced to me lol
    I'm dealing with northern turf in New Jersey .

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Costly to mix such products together.
    You need a backpack sprayer that has two tanks and two wands. One for weeds and one for crabgrass. Would probably need two electric pumps and one battery.
    Nutsedge, too--you are on your own.

walkinonwater27 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    HenryB

That sounds like a great idea you invent it I'll buy it. I agree about wasting product I would do it One only houses that had all 3 and were small. It was a funny conversation the guy was saying he really doesn't like Q4 and just makes his own mix which works far better and as far cheaper

Bstallings1983 likes this.
  4. squirtnfert

squirtnfert LawnSite Member

im running around with three backpacks and a 300 gallon skid and a ride on and still want more equipment

5. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Q4 does a decent job on crabgrass IMO. Not quite as well as something like Solitaire. But with Q4 you will get ok results on sedges and kylinga as well as a decent mix of broadleaf. Add a surfactant. The only thing I will mix with Q4 is certainty at about half rate as a kicker. Seems to work.

6. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I generally spray everything separate unless the lawn is a total mess , then I would use a mix similar to your buddies or q4 with extra quin and dismiss. If your spraying quin or dismiss for no reason your really blowing a lot of profit. Quin works much better with mso but if you add mso to q4 it burns the grass( smokes violets though ). Your not suppose to mix acclaim and 24d or the acclaim doesn’t work as well. Quin and acclaim also target different stages of growth better than one another. I would just try your mad scientist concoction on your own lawn first and you should be fine.

hort101 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    HenryB

I would only experiment at my house but these are the answers I'm looking for, some good stuff the MSO mixed with sulfentrazone very important to know. What about dimension and Q 4 mixed?

hort101 likes this.
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The idea that MSO as a surfactant used with sulfentrazone might burn the grass--that is news to me.
    Has anyone else had this experience?

Maybe I will have a chance to test MSO at high temps if it gets hot again next week. To us--hot means over 90--LOL!
    I do not have any sulfentrazone by itself--only as a component of other products.
    I would like to test MSO on a few small spots on a test area. Once over, twice? Three times?

hort101 likes this.
  9. PKLIP

PKLIP LawnSite Member

I've been mixing Momentum 4-score with Quinclorac with good success. No surfactant because the 4-score contains sulfentrazone. Initially was concerned about crabgrass control but it appears to smoke everything with the exception of violets within a few days. I sprayed 5-times the rate to test phytotoxicity and had minimal damage to turf at that rate. The mix is half the cost of Q4 and equally as effective.

kemco and walkinonwater27 like this.
  10. PKLIP

PKLIP LawnSite Member

I torched a few lawns this year when I added non-ionic surfactant to 4-score that contains sulfentrazone. The areas that I burned however where areas where I likely over applied though.