Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like alot more moles this year than in the past. I see moles and their trails in about 50% of my lawns. Anyone else??

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
only on one lawn do I see the results of moles.

the lady is clueless except that she got real mad at me last week.

she complained that "well-that didn't take long!".

and I said: "well Mrs. X, all you have for a lawn is field weeds."

and she informed me real quick that I had been mowing "fine bermuda".

so my question (asides from the moles) is: is bermuda just a field weed?

snaggly, thatchy, gnarley bermuda! that is what I say!

GEO

·
Banned
1,773 Posts
The lawns I have the worst mole problem with this year are ones that I put mach II grub control on. Maybe they are on the move looking for somthing else to eat?

Someone told me today that they heard that castotoil sprayed on the lawn will make the moles sick and they will leave. Has anyone heard if this actually works? and if so where can I get a lot of castoroil?

·
Registered
975 Posts
I haven't heard of that one yet, but you never know. Castor oil is used to clean out the bowels and digestive tract. You can find it in Walgreens, Walmart, Meijer, etc... . That would be one expensive lawn treatment; especially on a large property. Don't know if you could dilute it with veg. oil.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The reason for the abundance of moles is due to the wet soil and earthworms moving closer to the surface. Most garden centers will have a Castor Oil/Pepper spray which is supposed to deter these varmits, but not sure how effective it is. I would be careful with children and pets though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Better off to trap them than poison. You may need a license for grub control anyway.

Look at http://www.molepro.com/ for quick info. I have used the choker loop trap and the scissor mole trap with great success.

If you kill the grubs and earthworms, the moles will go crazy in the lawn as they look for the scarce food. Earthworms are good for the lawn anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.