Moles

lawn789

LawnSite Member
I wasn't sure where to post this so I apologize in advance. I was wondering what you guys do for moles? My personal lawn and one other lawn I maintain has a mole problem and the products I use from big box stores to kill grub worms doesn't seem to help.

starry night

LawnSite Fanatic
Traps are the most effective. Or you might try the Caddyshack method originally used for groundhogs.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
The straight-down spear-type traps are the quickest to set--no digging. I should mention that--do NOT hold the trap on the left side with your hand, while springing it. I was injured slightly last month when I sprung this trap on purpose. Pinched my finger.
https://www.victorpest.com/victor-mole-trap-0645

Pest control people prefer to set about 6 of the "Out of Sight" mole traps.

Of course, the poison worms are easy to use, and you do not need a return trip. Talpirid. My usual choice.

OP
L

lawn789

LawnSite Member
The straight-down spear-type traps are the quickest to set--no digging. I should mention that--do NOT hold the trap on the left side with your hand, while springing it. I was injured slightly last month when I sprung this trap on purpose. Pinched my finger.
https://www.victorpest.com/victor-mole-trap-0645

Pest control people prefer to set about 6 of the "Out of Sight" mole traps.

Of course, the poison worms are easy to use, and you do not need a return trip. Talpirid. My usual choice.
Im not opposed to using traps, but the ones Ive used I haven't had much luck. They were the spear, above ground type traps. I may give the poison worms a try

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Skill and experience are a big help. You need to carefully note the tunnels and which ones are most frequently used. And find where the freshest tunnels have occurred. The most tunnels and the freshest tunnels should be near the main den--which is deeper underground. Place the traps nearby.
Keep in mind--in late summer the moles will leave dry lawns and head for well-irrigated lawns. Moist soil is easy digging, and has lots of earthworms to eat.

ggb6259

LawnSite Senior Member
I dealt with several moles in my yard this year. We have very sandy soil. Black dirt is about 6-10 inches deep on top of the sand. I got three with the scissor traps and then had two others that dove down into the sand and would then surface for a day or two and then repeat the cycle. I finally lost my mind and got a spade out. Found a main tunnel and put the poisoned worms in the tunnel both sides. The main tunnel was about a foot down and was 3" diameter. I used gloves and a small diameter tree stick with a big curve in it and pushed worm in far enough to where the sand tunnel was intact. Two spots on on the end of the house and one off the patio pad in back. No activity after a couple of days. Someone failed to put grub killer down on his lawn this year as a preventive measure. Wont forget next year.