Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've tried the "smoke bombs", water flooding, the poison peanuts, the mole "poison gel" stuff and have been putting a 5000 sq ft bag of grub killer on a 1000 sq foot area every 5 weeks now since April....no luck....the little suckers are still making more tunnels. They are small...tunnels only about 1 3/4 inch diameter. Theres no way they're eating grubs. I have a spear type trap I've been using for a week that has gone off a couple times with no deaths though. I'm seriously considering using electricity...would it kill them? If not I'm just about to go with the Caddyshack method of using propane and a fuse....I've had it with these damn things.....I'm in Michigan about 15 Miles north of Detroit

·
Registered
822 Posts
If you are getting "hits" with your spear trap that is a good thing. Make sure the tunnels are very close to the surface as well, I always stick my finger down through the sod to see how deep the tunnel is. Next make sure you collapse the tunnel where you will place the trap. When you stick the trap in the ground make sure to run the spikes up and down a few times to ream out holes. this will make them snap down faster. Sometimes I have even had to push the spikes down to get them to go all the way.

I have had moles set off a spike trap 3-4 times before I got them. If the tunnels are over 2-3" down the spike traps may not work.

Look for a tunnel that seems to go somewhere, the ones that look like random tunneling are feeding tunnels and moles may or may not go back to them. If you see a long straight tunnel thats the one to go after. Also traps are cheap, buy a few more. Its Lot cheaper than all the money you spent on bait,poison,etc. If I get a tunnel that I am not SURE is a good one I will set 2-3 traps around to make sure I get the sucker.

Check out this site for help
http://www.themoleman.com/

Here is a good site to buy traps.
http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/traps/gophermole.asp

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
i saw a deal in this issue of TURF that injacts a certain amount of oxygen and propane into the tunned and has a spark mechanism on it and produces what they call a "controlled explosion" inside the tunnels

i'll post the name and site to it when i get home tomorrow

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Wow. Now that looks like it would be rather effective. I have a few harpoon type traps, and they work ok. The main thing is knowing the behaviors of the moles, like when they move, and knowing what to look for, as in what runs to use. I'll tell you one thing, though. The newer harpoon (spike) type traps are nothing like the older ones, though. For instance the Victors; the newer ones are MUCH shorter than the older ones, barely putting the spikes down far enough to even have an effect.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like the spear traps as well. I have heard good things about Kaput from Scimetrics, but yet to try it myself.

As far as grubs....they do not feed mainly on grubs. A mole digs a tunnel and monitors it for insects. The insects that fall into the tunnels are those that move through the soil. Grubs are relatively staionary as they sit there and feed on the roots. If a grub digs a tunnel and comes across a grub, they'll certainly eat it. If a grub falls into the tunnel, they'll eat it. But generally speaking grubs do not move excessively through the soil profile like other insects and earthworms. Moles DO NOT equal grubs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I work in Pest Control/Wood Destroying, and am often asked about moles. Everything I have read, leads me to believe, very little other than trapping will work. Many manufacturers of mice and rat bait will tell us that they will have a mole bait coming out soon, but this never seems to happen. Remember that Pest Control works on a triangle. You have food water and habitat. Remove one of these requirements, and the problem should resolve.

I have had people tell me that killing the grubs help, that chewing gum works, gas in a tunnel, and many more. Also those wind mills are supposed to drive the mole nuts from vibration. While I'm thinking of it, gas down a fire ant mound does not work most of the time, it just stresses the colony which buds and produces more mounds in practice.

Be careful what you place in the ground, or on top for that matter when trying to remove these moles. Read all the labels to any over the counter chemicals you may use. Be careful if you use bait that you do not kill other non target animals.

Best Regards

Bryn

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.