• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

MOMMA needs milk money!

clut0350

LawnSite Member
mY, FATHER STARTED A LAWNCARE BUSINESS WHEN i WAS 14. i WAS HIS RIGHT HAND MAN UNTIL I WAS 20. i GOT BURNT OUT, FELT LIKE I HAD TO MAKE SOMETHING OF MYSELF AND GET OUT FROM UNDERNEATH MY DAD. WELL, AFTER THREE YEARS OF WORKING FOR SOMEONE ELSE I HAVE DECIDED THAT I DONT LIKE IT. THIS SPRING I AM TAKING BACK THE DAY TO DAY OPERATIONS FOR THE FAMILY BUSINESS. OWNING YOUR OWN BUSINESS, WHATEVER IT IS , SIMPLY HAS MORE TO OFFER. NOTHING CAN REPLACE THE FEELING OF PRIDE YOU GET KNOWING THAT YOU CONTROL YOUR OWN DESTINY. I'M EXCITED!

mtdman

LawnSite Gold Member
I worked in a cancer research lab for 3 years while going to school for my bachelor's degree. I worked inside, 3 floors underground the whole time. These people would put in 12 hours a day inside that box, with no sunlight or spending time outside. Getting their meals out of a vending machine, working for crappy money. With major advanced degrees. DROVE ME NUTS! I need to be outside, doing my thing, enjoying the world. I get to be outdoors everyday. People who work in offices dream about getting outside for a few hours on the weekend. I live there. I love it.

And, I'm my own boss. I own a business, I have a measure of freedom and independence. I don't have to worry about someone a few floors above me deciding to cut my job so they can have a new car or better profits. I work long hours, but it benefits me.

I am at a point in my life where I have to decide to make my business work for me or call it quits. Making my business work for me is my first choice, and I will work as hard as I can to see that through.

:D

MudslinginFX4

LawnSite Bronze Member
I love what I do! I am going to school for it right now to be better at it! I couldn't imagine not doing landscaping. It's fun to me and even more fun to see a business have success.

TYLAWN

LawnSite Member
I worked as a mechanical designer for 6 years while part timing my lawn service for the last 5 years. My Dad passed away in March and my finanicial advisor said son you better file some loses this year. You see my dad work for a large textile/chemical company for 36 years and he has not been married since 76. Mom passed in 83 so I'm the one that got the farm. Try putting his retirment as earned income on your taxes and see what happens. My estimated tax payment WITHOUT filing any loses is around $86,000. Can you guys stomach that. I know people think well you have it so pay it but my dad worked for the money. He had already paid taxes on it. So here I am starting up a cattle business and a lawn care business. If anyone out there has good tax advice please let me know I'm willing to listen to anything at this point.

Lux Lawn

LawnSite Silver Member
I like what I do its nice being outside everyday but that also has it disadvantages like when it rains for two days straight and you can't cut your behind the rest of the week then on Saturday when its nice out and you have 30 lawns left to do just to finish for the week that gets old fast. But it sure beats my last job and taking orders from someone else who has know clue what they are talking about.When its not snowing and there is no work in the winter its kind of nice.

grassrootsinab

LawnSite Member
I teach full time and have about 25 cutting accounts. I'd love to go full time but the problem is the Alberta winters... we only get about 4 months of regular cutting. I really like the fact that at the end of the day I can lock up the trailer and put my mind at ease...no calling parents, updating marks, making tests etc. All my billing is done on a PDA as we go so it's a quick sync and done. End of the month expenses takes about 2 hours of computer time. The green industry is where it's at!!!