Lawn Care Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys .any of you have any tips on tools used for trimming back monkey grass?.I usually use hand clippers but was wondering if there were any other or better tools on the market?like a good re chargeable? Thanks for the input !

·
Registered
860 Posts
A lawnmower?

Well, there you have it leeslawn. That's what makes this forum great....diversity of opinion hehe

You could offer Fall bed maintenance at half off and still make good money. Perrenial beds with a Lazer Z.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that wouldn't work in my case .would screw up the beds an the mulch .I've worked too hard to get them looking nice .Besides the client would fire my butt if i did that !!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a large vacuum (normally I attach it to my mower discharge to pick up leaves) and this year I'm going to try using a blade on my string trimmer and let a helper suck up the monkey grass as I cut it. Don't know how it will work, but I'll let you know in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
519 Posts
i use my extended stihl hs75L hedge trimmers i am lazy i do not like to bend, yea its leriope, i cut all mine back when it starts to look bad from the cold, cover it up with some new pine straw and in about 4 weeks its Back.....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Andy
I have always been told NOT to cut lirope (monkey grass)
until the end of winter, same with pampus grass..not sure why..guess just so no stress if it tries to grow back in warm winter weather.. I'm in cen. GA. don't have real winters.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This may not be the best way, but if you want diversity, I have used a gas trimmer,especially if it is infested with Bermuda. I too am a scrub.

·
Registered
436 Posts
We also use the mower if it's just outlining a bed. Works great. It it's in the bed I use hand trimmers or weed wacker. Using the mower is the fastest and easiest way here in AL. I cut it back in early spring when pruning Cr. Myrtle's.
Ssouth

·
Banned
541 Posts
We cut it with the weedeater. First we turn the weed eater up like your going to edge a street or side walk. Cut it back untill you get to the area where the Monkey Grass is growing up out of the ground and then walk the entire row of grass to trim off the front edges. Then go back to where you started and turn the weedeater up like you are trimming around a post (Flat) and take the top of the Monkey Grass down to the height you want it and walk the line of Monkey Grass to the other end keeping a level cut across the top. Then just touch up the backsides as needed. This process gets a nice square trimmed look and my customers love it. When it starts growing out it stays pretty much even and the new growth is pretty and green. After all the trimming is done we rake up the clippings and then go over the lawn area with our mowers and grass catchers to leave it clean and trimmed.

Roger's Lawn Care:blob2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.