• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Monument not killing cool season grass

Coachbob

LawnSite Senior Member
Any thoughts on this? Not overseeding this outfield this year and figured i would get rid of the clumpy rye, Poa, fescues that come up. The green patches in the outfield didn’t even blink at 10 grams per acre Monument ($Ouch$). Any idea which cool grasses don’t respond to Monument? I think I’m going to try Katana next.

1607363998817.jpeg

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
Big fescue clumps with dormant bermuda, I'll use the gly. Monument should be taking out the rest of the cool season stuff, but might take 2 weeks. Did you use a surfactant? My standard spray is 3-way + MSM once it cools off, with surfactant. Most SUs should take out or damage everything cool-season.

In spring, when its warming up, I tend to use Image/Imazequin for fescue and pair with MSM. Revolver only when necessary but it will take out fescue. I've never used Katana but I hear it works well to smoke most stuff.

TurfWerks

LawnSite Senior Member
Bermuda grass out field, I would have went with revolver. Way better target control of cool season grassy weeds etc..

As mentioned above Glyphosate with a little liquid nitrogen and a sticker will work if days are warm enough.

OP
Coachbob

Coachbob

LawnSite Senior Member
Big fescue clumps with dormant bermuda, I'll use the gly. Monument should be taking out the rest of the cool season stuff, but might take 2 weeks. Did you use a surfactant? My standard spray is 3-way + MSM once it cools off, with surfactant. Most SUs should take out or damage everything cool-season.

Bermuda grass out field, I would have went with revolver. Way better target control of cool season grassy weeds etc..

As mentioned above Glyphosate with a little liquid nitrogen and a sticker will work if days are warm enough.
In spring, when its warming up, I tend to use Image/Imazequin for fescue and pair with MSM. Revolver only when necessary but it will take out fescue. I've never used Katana but I hear it works well to smoke most stuff.
So, Monument not as effective on Fescue? interesting. I use it for spring transition regularly, and it works great on the PRG. I've used Katana in the past for clumpy rye in the fall but it was brutal on the overseeding after. haven't used Gly on dormant grass before. How does it effect spring greenup? Yes, I use surfactant and also use Urea with it for spring transition.

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
I would only use gly on 100% dormant bermuda, so if you see any green when you look at the outfield, nope. Gotta be good and dead up top. Anything just slightly next to a house/sidewalk/asphalt tends to tolerate gly unless you get silly and soak it. So its really only Jan/early Feb that i'll go out and attack anything in bermuda with gly.

I have more problems with fill-in when I overdo any kind of harsh pre, not from the gly.

OP
Coachbob

Coachbob

LawnSite Senior Member
I would only use gly on 100% dormant bermuda, so if you see any green when you look at the outfield, nope. Gotta be good and dead up top. Anything just slightly next to a house/sidewalk/asphalt tends to tolerate gly unless you get silly and soak it. So its really only Jan/early Feb that i'll go out and attack anything in bermuda with gly.

I have more problems with fill-in when I overdo any kind of harsh pre, not from the gly.
Thats why I have been reluctant to use gly in southern California, because we don't always get full dormancy. I would like to knock out these patches of Fescue (if thats what it is). I have some MSM Turf in the locker, and I can get Katana or other if needed. What selective do you think would give me the best shot at killing off these patches. Keeping in mind that 10g/A of Monument +surfactant didn't damage it at all. Thank you.

TurfWerks

LawnSite Senior Member
Thats why I have been reluctant to use gly in southern California, because we don't always get full dormancy. I would like to knock out these patches of Fescue (if thats what it is). I have some MSM Turf in the locker, and I can get Katana or other if needed. What selective do you think would give me the best shot at killing off these patches. Keeping in mind that 10g/A of Monument +surfactant didn't damage it at all. Thank you.
Revolver..... thats your best shot.