More cost efficient solution??

HartselleLawnEnforcement

LawnSite Member
Hey guys, first off, I have very few accounts, so money is definitely a limiting factor here.

A neighbor of a client came up to me on Friday to mow his lawn next season. The only problem is that he wants it bagged. I don't have a bagger for my John Deere 737 Ztrak. (He also offered to buy a bagger upfront for it, as long as I don't charge him whatever the amount is.)

I read up on here about the cost, and people are saying its upwards of $1000 for a bagger for the JD (Who'da thunk it?)

Would I be better off buying a cheaper walk-behind and getting a bagger for it, or should I just stick with getting a bagger for my JD? (I've had no luck finding a specific bagger for my machine online; short of going to the dealer and asking..)

Thanks in Advance!
Adam

OP
HartselleLawnEnforcement

HartselleLawnEnforcement

LawnSite Member
Forgot to add...

The JD mower won't fit through his backyard fence, so I'd have to use my 21" mower in the backyard (not a huge backyard)

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
Deere baggers if new, run up to 2500 for triple bagger and 2800 or so for dump.from the seat bagger. These are oem baggers. You can get a accelerator for 600 or so, but you will be dumping a lot.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Lot of guys trade in their machines with baggers, and the dealer separates them 'cause they cam make more by selling the separately. Try calling, and/or driving around to any and all dealers in your area (they don't have to be a Deere dealer to have one on the lot from a trade in). You can not only save a lot of money, but since it is the off season, you can usually save quite a bit. Most dealers don't like to have to inventory that kind of stuff for tax time, and they don't really want to have to store it either. Also, keep an eye out on CL. I see them there fairly often right now, but so far none for my mower.

KS_Grasscutter

LawnSite Gold Member
Might see if humboldt/grass catchers usa makes one to fit it. Its won't be better then the deere bagger, but better then some OEM as well as any other aftermarket set up I've ran across. I think they're around a thousand bucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
I'll be honest with you, are you going to make back any of that $1000? Will you be able to use it for leaf service next fall? Will you really be able to justify buying a bagger for one yard? I tell all my customers I can either mulch or mow regular, not bag. It is way to much trouble, especially if you have to haul the clippings off, unless of course you charge extra for that. I sacrificed this year and bagged one ladies lawn, just to get in the million dollar neighborhood, turned out she ended up moving mid season and I lost the lawn. Maybe convince him to let you mulch it.

I had to buy an accelerator this year for a church with 10+ oak trees, biggest one they made. After one visit I had to return it because it filled up so quickly, and because of the foot-thick leaf layer. Next year I will go with a DR or an Agri-Fab leaf collector.

Just look at your costs and see if its really worth it for just one lawn.

32vld

LawnSite Gold Member
How much will this lawn bring in?
How much will the bagger cost?
Can this bagger be used for fall clean ups?
Will customer pay to have a larger gate put in so bagger fits in the back yard?

If your machine fits now but won't fit with a bagger then he will have to install larger gate or pay extra for you to use 21" because he wants it bagged.

Personally I will not take on bagger's at this time.

khutch

LawnSite Senior Member
If you do not bag now, you might not know what you are getting into. It can be a pain....If you can charge extra for the bagging, maybe it is not a bad thing. Just make sure in the end, your time on the property equals what you want to get paid. I'd rather not, and probably most people, have to bag a property. On the other hand, sooner or later, having a bagging system for your mowers is a good thing. Have to spend $400 for an Accelartor bagger hurt at first, but I use it way mor than I thought I would....

khutch

LawnSite Senior Member
BTW, That's a nice logo you have....

OP
HartselleLawnEnforcement

HartselleLawnEnforcement

LawnSite Member
I'm thinking this lawn will bring in at least $50/week. Anyone think I could get a smaller mower cheaper? Like Craigslist?
Posted via Mobile Device