1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

more dot cdl questions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Funfunfun, Jan 6, 2013.


    CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,526

    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. metro36

    metro36 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,417

    Clark, If your trailer weighs more than 10001lbs then you must keep your GCVW under 26001lbs. Like I said originally you can have a 26000lb truck with a 10000lb trailer and not need a CDL.

    CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,526

    So if I have a truck 25000# truck and an 8000# trailer would I need a CDL? If so what class?
    Posted via Mobile Device

    CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,526

    So if I have a truck 25000# truck and an 8000# trailer would I need a CDL? If so what class?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. PlantscapeSolutions

    PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,011

    Yes you would need a class A which is what I have. If the truck alone exceeds 26K you would need a class B.

    Here is the info pertinent to TX DL's

    Commercial Driver License (CDL)

    A commercial driver license (CDL) is a type of driver license an individual can apply for to transport interstate or intrastate commerce.

    With the exception of motorcycles and mopeds, individuals who hold a valid CDL may drive all vehicles in the class for which that license is issued, including their personal vehicle.

    Any vehicle that requires an endorsement (i.e. school bus, hazardous material, etc.) may not be driven unless the proper endorsement appears on the CDL.

    Individuals are required to have a CDL if they operate a motor vehicle:

    With a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds,
    Which transports quantities of hazardous materials that requires warning placards (signs), or
    Designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver.

    Any individual whose driver license is currently suspended, cancelled or revoked in Texas or in any other state is not eligible for a CDL.
    CDL Exemptions

    Individuals who operate any of the following vehicles are not required to obtain a CDL but must have the correct type of driver license for the vehicle they are operating:

    Military or commercial vehicles when operated for military purposes by military personnel,
    A vehicle controlled and operated by a farmer, used to transport agricultural products, machinery or supplies within 150 miles of the individual’s farm,
    Fire-fighting or emergency vehicles necessary to the preservation of life or property or the execution of emergency governmental functions whether operated by an employee of a political subdivision or by a volunteer fire fighter,
    Recreational vehicles driven for personal use (although a CDL is not required, individuals may need to obtain a Class A driver license), and
    Straight trucks used exclusively for transporting an individual’s tangible personal property not for sale.

    Interstate versus Intrastate

    Individuals may apply for a CDL that allows the transportation of either interstate or intrastate commerce. At the driver license office, individuals must specify if they are applying for interstate or intrastate commerce.

    Interstate commerce means trade, traffic or transportation:
    Within the U.S. between a place in a state and a place outside of such state or outside of the U.S., or
    Between two places in a state through another state or outside of the U.S.
    Intrastate commerce is the:
    Transportation of property (a commodity) where the point of origin and destination are within one state and the state line, or
    International boundary is not crossed.

    The Bill of Lading will be an indicator as to whether a shipment or commodity is interstate or intrastate. If there is not a Bill of Lading then the origin and destination of the shipment will be an indicator.
  6. PerfectEarth

    PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,734

    25000# truck towing a 8000# trailer does NOT need a class A.

    The combination is clearly over 26000# - yes... BUT the trailer is not over 10000#!!

    Anytime you step over a 10k trailer which pushes you OVER 26000# combined, that's class A
  7. KS_Grasscutter

    KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,335

    PerfectEarth is correct as I understand. Google "CDL requirements flow chart" or something similar.

    CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,526

    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. jrs.landscaping

    jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine
    Messages: 2,763

    How did you get your CDL? He posted the laws for his state VERBATIM and you say he's wrong? Take out your book and study again :waving:
  10. PlantscapeSolutions

    PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,011

    The rules posted are correct but after looking back there does appear to be some lingo else where about the trailer needing to be over 10K GWR. I don't deal with a medium duty truck pulling a light duty trailer so this is not something I have to deal with. It is also not something you will find on the CDL exam here in TX or likely else where.

    I'm from Augusta, ME myself. Maine is not a state where it's easy to make a lot of money. If I told potential clients back home the labor rate was $37.50 an hour it wouldn't go over very well. November thru April is a tough stretch up north as well. Year round work down south is a huge benefit.

Share This Page