more help with going legal

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kc2006, May 25, 2004.

  1. kc2006

    kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,443

    Well I'm having some troubles with getting my business name registerd and getting a service vendors lisence. I'm only 17 (until beginning of august) and you have to be 18 in ohio to get the name registerd and to get the lisence. So how do you guys that are under 18 and go legal do it? I haven't even looked into insurance yet because i'l lget a run around or a really expensive quote i know it. Any help would be great as i'm stumped. I don't want to put it in one of my parents names for in the unlikely event of someone sueing they can come after us because I'm going sole proprietorship. :confused:
  2. BareFootLawn

    BareFootLawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 88

    Have your dad or someone become a partner and go LLC. You would want the benifits of an LLC anyway if it came down to a customer getting your equipment or getting your house.

    Good luck.
  3. kc2006

    kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,443

    anyone other suggestions?
  4. Johnson

    Johnson LawnSite Member
    Messages: 47


    I recently started my insurance through Indiana Ins. Co. I have 1 million in coverage and pay $505.00 per year. They will bill you monthly, queartlerly or you can pay it all up front. Check them out and see if that works out for you.
  5. tn yard man

    tn yard man LawnSite Member
    Messages: 5

    What does LLC mean?????????....Sounds stupid I know but I have no clue
  6. creek chub

    creek chub LawnSite Member
    Messages: 38

    Limited Liability Company. Check with your attorney. There are alot of advantages to this type of entity. If you're a sole proprietorship definately look into this!!!!

    Creek Chub
  7. tiedeman

    tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth
    Messages: 8,745

    if you are a sole prop. like state above, definetly look into the LLC. To make a long story short, LLC basically serperates your personal and business property. If someone sues you, they can't go after your personal
  8. The C Man

    The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio
    Messages: 527

    KC, I don't know where in Ohio you are, but go here (I just found this the other day):

    It's the Ohio website for the SBDC - Small Business Development Center. Just follow the directions you'll see. I just ordered my starter packet Friday.

    Then you can go here and find the SBDC nearest to you:

    I don't know if they can help you with not being 18 yet, but it looks like they help/guide you through pretty much everything else, for FREE. I'm really looking forward to working with someone there in the near future.
  9. kc2006

    kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,443

    Yea I downloaded the starter pack already and I called the place to talk with people. They said i had to go to their seminar first before i could get one on one assistance but I sweet talked them into letting me speak with one of the advisors. I didnt get to ask them about the under 18 thing becuase i didnt think of it at the time, I'll have to give them a call again.

Share This Page