1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

More OIL talk

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I've been reading a good bit on here about oil lately. For me this has refreshed my memory about a question I had.....

Do most of you buy "special" oil just for the mowers?

The reason I ask is because I am a "spec sheet" man when it comes to oil. I look at the specs on the oil I run. Right now I have settled on Mobil 15w 40 the "Million Mile Oil" for everything else I own.

All my engines have the same oil in them, mowers and all. But I have 10w 30 in my new one. I am thinking strongly about just using the 15w 40 in it too.

The reason is that in order to get the same specs in a 10w 30 I'd have to use synthetic oil, which I don't care for. Also there is so little difference in thickness. Plus the 15w 40 is made to stand up to heavy loads, extreme conditions and off-road use.

What do you all think?

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

This is not a mower, but I bought a new polaris 400 sportsman last sept. anyways they come with 0-40 polaris oil from the factory, I asked the tech there if I could use 5-30 or 10-30/40 oil and he said I should use 0-40 cuz of start up ware, now I know he sells 0-40 oil, but he also sells various other weights too. He said he's seen some motors tore apart that they used a thicker oil and the camshafts were wore out. I've used several different kinds of oil, and I have alot of 5-40 oil I might use in the mowers. 15-40 might be to thick at start-up, my opinion:) I do use 15-50 in my hydraulic systems-mobile 1

3. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Check the back of a bottle of Kohler 10W-30 oil and compare to your 15W-40. I think you will be surprised. It is not a synthetic. As far as "thickness", pour both oils through an 1/8" hole and see how long it takes for the same volume of oil to flow through it.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The first # in motor oil is basically the base stock viscocity. With 10W being thinner than 15W which is thicker. Then the second # is what the oil will perform "like" when hot.

MOST 15W-40's are technically a diesel oil. As that is what MOST diesel engines specify. Don't know wether the additive package in a 15W-40 contains something to deal with GASOLINE byproducts?

I'd maybe consider this oil if you had 2000 hrs on an engine, but if its new....those clearances are a bit tight to be pumpin that honey through when its a bit chilly.

I think you'll find most here use 10W-30 on most twins and others are still using HD-30 straight.

My overall recomendation for you....

NO.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I do not buy "special" oil for my mowers but I follow the manufactures recommendations and have a brand I prefer. The key to oil is use the weight suggested by the manufacturer and change it often.

Gravely_Man

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We use straight 30 in our mowers. Been doing that for 15+ years. Our newest, Ferris w/ 25hp Kawasaki, recommends straight 30. I actually should go back to the engine manual to double check exactly what it says.

7. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I put the recomended opti 4 oil it is expensive but works good so far