More precise quotes? Google maps or other site to remotely see lot size (for quotes)?

lawncarerookie

LawnSite Member
For instance, $10 for extra small(<5 minutes), $15 for small(<15 minutes), $25 for medium(20 minute average), $35 for large(45 minute average), custom quote of 45 to $100+ for extra large. Front yard only, and back yard only options as well.

Price is set on how big the lawn is/how long it takes. You slot the jobs order in a way to achieve the least windshield time. Send an email invoice and or mail invoice at the end of the week, or month.

Have you seen anyone do this type of thing well where they can serve people that have tiny lawns that only take 5 minutes on a zero turn or even push mower, and you can bang it out for $10 in between driving to the next site?

------------

Do you also use google maps or other sites in order to remotely see the lot size?

Or do you ask customers questions like does it take <10 minutes to cut the front and back, <30 minutes, or 30 to 1hr, 1hr plus in order for you to get the right quote? What is the best way to get the right quote without wasting time?

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Nope. Maybe you missed my question in another one of your threads. What's $10 Canadian in US dollars?

You will never make good money mowing grass for those kinds of rates. You'll never make enough to hire employees unless you are doing row houses and you do the entire street. One guy here basically does that. You need to set a minimum price, no matter how small it is. Mine is $45. I have a couple tha take 10-15 minutes tops. I charge $45. A plumber has a minimum. An HVAC guy has a minimum and even has a trip fee just to come diagnose, not to even fix anything. Auto mechanics have a minimum.

There is a reason you came up with your idea for pricing that you've posted multiple times. And it started with guys in the industry before you not charging a minimum, and/or never raising their prices. EVERYTHING has gone up in prices, and guys starting out mowing that don't price accordingly in relation to EVERYTHING else, only have themselves to blame when they don't make enough money.

Not trying to beat you up. I got called to do this lawn 2 days ago. 1 time mow. Chainlink fence around perimeter. I charged $55 and her 5 star google review said I was very responsive and priced very competitively. She never balked when I said $55. I could have paid a dude $25 to do it for beer money most likely.
Screenshot_20210729-134013_Earth.jpg

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
I don't know where you are or what area these "extra small" lawns are, but around here, the "extra small" city jobs pay as well as the "medium" suburban jobs.

Why mow for $10 when you can get $35? It's absurd.

Example:
This is a tiny, city lawn. $36/weekly
Front and back

I don't know how long it takes because I stopped tracking that stuff, but I would guess 20 minutes at a casual pace - mow, trim, blow it off.
I don't rush.

I can't find any good pics of the suburbs lawns, but in this one, the slope that runs down to the yellow fire hydrant behind my trailer is the property line between the two homes.
The back yards are 3-4 times the size of the front and it takes a good 35 minutes or so with a 30" or 36". Prices are about $40 average.
I'm doing more work for only a little more money. The tiny, city lawns are what I want.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
As for using Google maps, it can lead you astray. For starters you don't see current condition. You may price it based on size and you get there and it's 3 ft tall. Second you can't always tell the topography. I got called to do a lake front house. Google looked like it wasn't real big. But knowing most of our water front stuff is on a hill, I went to look at it. The water's edge just sloped downhill to the rip rap and into the water. Very quickly. If there was maybe 10ft of rip rap buffer, I'd have entertained doing it. But I didn't need another lawn account bad enough to risk driving my mower into the lake. I just let them know it was outside of my service area.

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
When I started out, I looked at a property that was much larger than what I was used to cutting. I really had NO idea how long it would take, or what to charge.
I told the lady that - I said, "how about I do it for $35 the first time and see how it goes and I'll be able to tell you if I can keep doing it for that, or if I need to adjust the price up a little."

I ended up asking if she would be agreeable to $40 and she was. She also had an area in back that I would knock down occasionally and I just added it to the total - she never questioned that part.

I'm just throwing that example out there since you're in the same boat of not knowing what to charge.
Being honest with people is never a bad idea.

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
I just timed one of my tiny, city cuts.
Took 18 minutes. (not counting unloading)
I spent a couple of minutes doing some extra trimming, so it was likely closer to 14 minutes mowing (30", but 21 would be about the same) and trimming.
Price: $38
Now, if I drive 2 miles east of here, people would look at me like I have 3 heads if I quoted them $38 for something that would take 45 minutes to mow.

Location. Location. Location.

walkinonwater27

LawnSite Senior Member
I will not give a price unless I see the property, ballpark possibly but 10$-20$ Is just a waste of time. I would go work for someone for think about a new field, your just losing money that cheap.

Gus McGee

LawnSite Senior Member
Unless you have zero travel time between a hundred of these 10 dollar lawns you will not make any money. You have to factor in travel time between jobs. If it takes you 15 minutes to get to a 10 dollar job, 8 or so minutes to load and unload, and 5 minutes to cut it, you just dumped about 30 minutes into making 10 bucks.

Factor in postage, envelopes, and stuffing the envelope or credit card processing fees you now spent 30 to 40 minutes to generate 10 bucks minus an additional dollar or two. You are generating around 5 dollars in hour in revenue. Once you factor in all your expenses, direct and overhead, you are losing money to mow.

Get a fast food or retail job for half the stress at quadruple the pay.

Top Forums