1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

More Truck questions

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sbecker, Feb 11, 2003.

1. sbecker

sbecker LawnSite Member

What is everbodys opinion of cab over design vs conventional cab design. I have never driven a cab over design. Just how much better visibility do you get in one. Any other advantages/disadvantages? Thanks

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I just picked up a UD 1800 cab over. One of the BEST investments I have ever made.Visibility and turning radius are phenomenal. Also I have air over hydraulic brakes. Takes some getting used to, but you will love it when you have a full load in! The 18,000 GVW has a 6 cylinder turbo diesel, putting out around 225 horse. I would highly recommend test driving one, to ANYONE in the market. As far as bad things, Hmmm.. just takes a little getting used to getting in and out of. Since you sit above the wheels, you have to get in over a hump. Driver has to get in using his left leg, and passenger using his right leg. Sounds confusing, but you will see what I am talking about. On a scale of 1-10, it definitely gets my 10 hands down.

3. ladibugg

ladibugg LawnSite Member

Back in the late 50's and early 60's Dodge made a pickup that looked like a van with a bed. They called it the A100. Anyway, it was a cab-over pickup, kind of. You actually sat slightly in front of and along beside the motor. I always thought that would be a great plow truck. You would be able to see the whole plow while you were driving, and because the wheels are partly behind you with such a short wheel base, you could be in and out of a yard in no time. It would be just the same as driving a cargo van that had an open bed. Someday...

4. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I have a Chevy w-4 which is the same as the Isuzu. I love the Truck. Had it for 5 years now and wonder how I got along without it. It turns on a dime, hauls everything I throw at it and is really easy to drive. My wife likes to drive it!! For plowing, look at the Mitsubishi, they have a 4wd model. If you get this type of truck, you can't go wrong and they cost as much as a 1/2 ton pickup.

Mike

5. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I'm on my 2nd cabover and like Paponte said, once you get used to getting in and out you'll love it. Mine has a 10' bed, an I-pack box behind the cab and can still turn around in a cul-de-sac with a 16' trailer.