• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

More winter seed and pre-germination

dKoester

LawnSite Gold Member
Remember when grass plants are too dense it constricts airflow and can lead to disease pressure when temps get warm.

KerbDMK

LawnSite Bronze Member
For overseeding this paragraph recommends higher than usual seeding rates, because some seedlings are going to fail.

And yet--most seed labels suggest sowing half as much seed when overseeding existing grass, as compared to seeding bare soil.
Yea, that's difficult to reconcile. Even without disease pressure existing turf thickness is the most important factor in how much of your overseed will grow and survive. On nearly bare soil most of the seed may grow and survive while in dense turf none of it may survive.

In the case of spreading grasses, you may not need a lot of it to survive.

Trying to replace existing turf by overseeding is a waste of time and overseeding a different type of grass into another existing type of grass never ends in uniform coverage.

Last edited:
OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
How best to overseed?
Cut short, power-rake, aerate, roll, topdress, starter fert, vertical mow...??
It is so difficult to prove which is most helpful.
After waiting four weeks--how do you tell which is the new grass--and which is the old grass? What percent of new grass actually took hold?
Of course, when Bermuda is overseeded--it conveniently turns brown in cold weather.
Potentially in the north, you could overseed a grass with a different color or texture.
K-31 would be obvious after a few weeks.
I have tried annual ryegrass--it is more yellow. And maybe I can find a cheaper more yellow variety. Variety "Gulf" for instance.

KerbDMK

LawnSite Bronze Member
I think you are going to have to define "best" and under what circumstances it is best.

I find it pretty easy to see any type of grass overseeded into Kentucky bluegrass unless it's Kentucky bluegrass. :)

Overseeding something into an already mixed lawn could be difficult to see.

Last edited: