Moss Problem

scruff33

Banned
Was in the backyard today and noticed quite a bit of Moss scattered around the backyard. I had my lawn aerated and seeded in the fall, and it has been a very wet winter.

For what it's worth my backyard his clay soil, gets lots of sunlight. Similar situation in the front, but no moss whatsoever there.

I was getting ready to put down fertilizer and crabgrass preventer, but now I'm not sure what would be the appropriate action. Can anyone help? After seeding I really don't want my lawn to go to the toilet.

Dr.NewEarth

LawnSite Bronze Member
How long have you lived there? Check your pH and correct that. You can treat moss with an iron based moss killer. That will also give your lawn a deep green colour.

OP
S

scruff33

Banned
I've been here 5 years. I will do a soil test but sending that to the county could take a few weeks. I have a bag of Scott's Step 1 in the garage, and at this point I'm not sure if I should apply it or not.

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
Iron Sulfate will burn it off but does not get to the heart of the problem. Lots of time a hard pan is below the soil or some other obstruction keeping the soil from draining. Run a metal rod (Rebar Steel) down through the moss and see how far it will go. Also, do a search on Copperas and read about it.
As mentioned a soil test is a good place to start. If the pH is abnormally low +/-5.0, then hydrated lime or Dolomite will begin to correct the problem.

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
Too much water, poorly drained soils, and shade are the 3 big promoters of moss... so you must do what you can to correct the 2 that are bothering you, since shade is not an issue...

What kind of grass are you trying to grow???