Most comfortable walk behind?

alexschultz1

LawnSite Bronze Member
I'm still in the search of some new machines. My mowers are starting to get worn out and take a toll on my body/business. The go-to machine in my area is a 48" turf tracer. They have a very light footprint and leave behind an amazing cut, however the controls hurt my hands after 30min. So I need a different choice.

I'm 6'2 and weight 200 lbs
Here's my checklist:
1- needs to be light
2- the front of the mower has to be easy to lift while cutting
3- controls that are friendly to your hands
4- great anti-scalping capability
5- side to side hillside stability while riding a sulky
6- 48" cut

The toro with the t2 controls seems like a solid choice, what are your thoughts?

ch4x0r

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm curious to this also. I've been looking at the hustler trim star just because of the controls seems so much easier and simple as opposed to most walk behinds....but I've only had 1 walk behind and I just could not get used to the pistol grips controls it was a 36 gravely hydro pro walk very nice mower though great cut just couldn't get used to it
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
alexschultz1

alexschultz1

LawnSite Bronze Member
Any good hands on review of the Kage sulky? Sitting here in pain I'm all about comfort right now.

Coral Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
I'm just double checking, but you are saying that the ECS controls on the Turf Tracer are hurting your hands, right? I just ask because I believe the older models of Turf Tracer had the pistol grip style, but the ECS is supposed to be infinitely more comfortable.

ddixon7

LawnSite Senior Member
I personally prefer the ECS but I have huge hands relative to my size (5'10" 180 pounds). I currently have 7 Exmark walkbehinds, and they are all different. It seems once you hit the 1000 hour mark they are really loosened up and easier to squeeze. But, some control panels sit low and some sit high. The higher they sit the harder they are to get good leverage to lift the deck, and this is especially a pain if you are using a large X series 60". I prefer it if the controls are just above my waistline when I am on a velke, not more towards my mid abdomen like a couple mowers I have. They really are inconsistently built machines. In fact, I purchased a 52" TTHP 11 years ago and one side of the deck sat 3/8s of and inch lower on one side and Exmark themselves couldn't figure out why... So I had to use 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch washers in conjunction on one side to level it out.

If I were you, I would demo the new Scag. Pretty similar to ECS, but it might be softer and more to your liking.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
yea Scag SWZT would be the go to machine in my book.
Nice cut, light, maneuverable, silky smooth controls.

If it was me? I'd spring for a Kage Sulky.

Im not sure why other sulkies are beating you up?
What kind of work/strenuous exercise did you do prior to this job?

OP
alexschultz1

alexschultz1

LawnSite Bronze Member
yea Scag SWZT would be the go to machine in my book.
Nice cut, light, maneuverable, silky smooth controls.

If it was me? I'd spring for a Kage Sulky.

Im not sure why other sulkies are beating you up?
What kind of work/strenuous exercise did you do prior to this job?

Checked out the scag today. Pretty sweet machine.

As far as the sulky goes. I have a bad ankle (fell rock climbing while trying to get into the air force) that causes me to have knee and lower back pain. So those little potholes really hurt my body.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
You will want to avoid anything with pistol grips. Those will kill your hands over time.

I run a TTHP with ECS and have never had issues with the controls hurting my hands, tendonitis, etc.

Top Forums