Most effective types of marketing for a local landscaper

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Joseph Russ, Nov 14, 2018.

1. PKLIP

PKLIP LawnSite Member

That is very concerning to see a national platform company on the local search results. For something like Lawn Love, it really baffles me as to why someone would signup for it. I just filled out there contact form out of curiosity and the automatically generated quote it spit out was about as bland and generic as it gets. I have a hard time imagining a client having a good experience with something like this- what happens when an issue arises? Who says these companies are knowledgeable and licensed in turf care? What happens if you have a special request that is not met?

I have thought about signing up for something like Home Advisor in the past (partly due to their misleading and extremely aggressive phone calls), but then decided I didn't want to contribute to the problem. If no reputable service providers get on board, they go out of business!

What is the future of this type of business model though? Are they destined to go out of business as sort of a temporary fad? IMHO consumers want to make up their own minds- not go to a website, fill out their personal information to get a login, and then be spoon fed these questionable service providers.

2. EverGrow Marketing

EverGrow Marketing Sponsor

Well you can know roughly what someone's Ads budget is by using tools like SEMrush and SpyFu. Although not entirely accurate, it does provide some good info.

But I pulled that number from the BirghtLocal source I cited.

It's definitely effective, it just isn't time effective. It takes a long time to rank organically as well as commitment to a great content and on/off-site SEO strategy. Saturated markets can take a year or even longer to really see huge benefts in a robust SEO strategy.

But if you don't do anything or stick to a plan, it will never get better and you'll only fall behind.

I definitely wasn't suggesting you could be shoehorned onto the first page. Especially for a market he's in.

But I absolutely agree. My main point is not to simply forego SEO simply because the market is saturated.

I also don't know what market PKLIP is in, well prior to his comment in referencing Northern Virginia.

PKLIP likes this.
  3. EverGrow Marketing

EverGrow Marketing Sponsor

I don't see them going out of business anytime soon. People still use them, and a lot. In fact a new one will be popping up soon, YardHopp (already available in Denver, CO).

I personally wouldn't like them, but some people just want their yard mowed. People looking for quality and dependable work tend to stay away from these platforms. So the people actually signing up for this are looking for convenience versus quality., which isn't the best market to target anyways.

I actually just finished an article for Green Industry Pros magazine appropriately titled, "How to Find Quality Lawn Care Clients" and it speaks to this point as well.

Apps and sites like these are okay to fill schedules and keep your guys busy, but I definitely wouldn't use them to 'grow'. That's when your own marketing should come into play.

PKLIP likes this.
  4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Platinum Member

I think it's here to stay, however the players may come and go. Those that are funded by VC have a certain level of accountability that others don't and they likely have a burn rate that is fairly brutal. I haven't seen any repeat funding rounds for the "old guard", so they must be doing something right. Volume is everything.

But, as long as they have a firm grasp on the customer acquisition cost, it's no different than any other arbitrage play. Make sure more comes in than goes out and do it at scale until you saturate and them move on to the next territory or service offering. Like a lawn mowing version of the board game "Risk".

I would loooove to know their customer lifetime value and churn rate. I'd guess their churn falls somewhere just north of a Groupon or Living Social campaign and well south of any decent, locally owned lawn company. Similarly, the CLV has to be minimal by comparison.

PKLIP and EverGrow Marketing like this.