1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Most efficient mower for 5K lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Ford man, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Ford man

Ford man LawnSite Member
    Male, from Omaha NE

Every single one of my lawns is below 7500 sq ft with most of them in the 5K range and I have yet to find an efficient commercial set up. Most of them are gated, and they usually all have obstacles. Nonetheless, a big mower just won't work. A 36 is even difficult to maneuver just because of the size of the yards and obstacles. A 21 obviously works but gets the job done slow. Residential equipment has done fine but isn't holding up and isn't the fastest and doesn't leave a great cut on thicker grass. What would you guys use to get the job done as quick as you can while leaving the yard looking as nice as possible? Remember, every one of my lawns really are that small. It's just the size of the lots in all the neighborhoods near me. Only a couple lawns don't have gates, and even then they are not large wide open fields. Am I stuck using a 21? Thanks for the help!

2. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I put 36" and 32" dual hydro Walks w/mulch kits on lawns that size and Much Smaller Every Day all Day Long.

A belt 36" will Make you beg for a 21" though.

K c m likes this.
  3. Ford man

Ford man LawnSite Member
    Male, from Omaha NE

Yes I should have mentioned the 36 was belt driven. Do the dual hydros really make that much of a difference? It's worth nothing that none of my lawns are really "open" so to speak there's tress bushes beds etc that cover nearly all of them. Would you still find the 32-36 dual hydros to be worth it in this case? Do you see major productivity increases over a 21 on your own lawns?

4. Turf Tracer

Yes Dual Hydro makes All the Difference. When all you do is turn and Reverse All Day Long a Belt will Kill you Quick.

Forward passes are Short, beds are Everywhere...You want a Dual.

Best right now is Ferris FW25 in the 36" if your gates will allow. It's Very Slightly Wider than a 36" Tracer so if the gate don't swing fully open it may not fit a 38" gate.

5. K c m

K c m LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly Ford man, I started with a 36 and it was all I needed for smaller yards. belts, oil, zerk fittings, and sharp blades is all you have to worry about brother. Keep it simple!

el-guapo-loco and MarktheMower like this.
  6. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

We have used Exmark 30's for 4 years and they have been great overall. For your yard size I think they would be the perfect fit.

yukon202 likes this.
  7. Turf Tracer

Be forwarded. There's a Learnung Curve w/these units. Little room for error on Small Props.

I make new guys run a plylon course. Until they make it through without hitting a Pylon in a set Time they ain't on my lawns.

sjessen likes this.
  8. Brules

Brules LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma

What about a stander - like the Wright 32"? I see tons of them around here for the small yards with 36" wood gates. All the big LCO's in the city seem to have them on their trailers with their exmark/toro 52s.

grassmonkey0311 likes this.
  9. Turf Tracer

They Rut and Scalp like a Mudder on our lawns.

Hard to pop the deck and guys spin and go Too Fast ripping up Lawns.

MDlandscaping likes this.
  10. Brules

Brules LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma

I could def see that on soft northern grasses.

What do you mean by "pop the deck"?