Most efficient way to mow a lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chipk1, Aug 16, 2019.

1. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

2. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

So many things come to my mind but the #1 issue I see by using this theory routinely, which I’m guessing would be the purpose of figuring out the most efficient route, would be rutting. If your changing your cut pattern every mow, this theory’s value is for entertainment only.

3. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Also depends on what type/size mower you have as far as being efficient in turning. Some need a bit more room and therefore time to make the 180 turn and avoid putting a plate divot at every turn.

4. ngant17

ngant17 LawnSite Member

With the 2019 summer season in southeast US, I'm seeing +100 deg F. temps and 60% humidity. Usually between 2pm and 6pm. Also the average temps reported on TV news won't kill you, it's those peak temps happening in afternoon for a short time that can do the job.

IMHO the most efficient way to mow under above-mentioned conditions is to just slow down and take more breaks! Keep your skin dry to reduce excess temperature. I usually keep 3-4 tee shirts and swap them out as the other ones get soaked in perspiration and need to dry out. Your body is a biological machine and heat stress overloads the internal organs that keep you alive. There are at least a dozen ways to die from heat stress: heart attack, liver failure, kidney failure, and many more.

5. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Most efficient way- hire someone Thumbs Up

weeze, GrassManKzoo, K c m and 2 others like this.
  6. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

There is the fastest way, the healthiest way, and the best aesthetically. A good operator can choose between the 3 depending on the needs of the lawn and customer.

GrassManKzoo and flybynite like this.
  7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

I like the jobs where the worker lays a decent stripe down to finish the area, then runs the mower at a diagonal across the pattern in order to 'most efficiently' get back to the truck. :rolleyes: