Most hours you've seen on a machine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Grassfire205, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Grassfire205

Grassfire205 LawnSite Senior Member

With the rains shutting us down a day here and there ive been able to catch on maintenance on back up mowers. I was cleaning up my first mower i ever got. Its a 2005 exmark 66 inch. I got it brand new when i was 16 for me to mow after school and theb eventually on and off untill i got back into the business about 9 years ago. I bought it with .2 hours. The hour meter went out about 5 years ago at 1973 and since it went out ive probably put another 500 on it. It has all 3 original spindles and only replaced 2 pulleys. Motor was replaced at 900 hours other than that its all original except for belt and blades of course. Id use it for an everyday mower and not think twice about it if i had to. so anyone else have some older mowers with high hours and still in good mowing shape?

hort101 likes this.
  2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I’ve seen mowers (especially Z’s) with 3500 plus hours on them and still running strong used. I’ve seen it here also.

Rebuild and keep it going

Doc8406 and Walker56 like this.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Toro Groundsmaster with inline Continental 4 cylinder...way over 4,000 hours. Pretty sure it was close to 4700 when we sold it and running strong. No engine work.

UpNorthMowing, Doc8406 and JLSLLC like this.
  4. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2000 mt walker with 10000 hours on it have put in 3 engines and would still be on second engine but it spun a gear on the crank which is very unusual

jrs.landscaping and Walker56 like this.
  5. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

A Dixie chopper I got with Kohler EFI command pro engine had 3500 hours on it when I sold it, still ran pretty good. Nothing else has made it past 1500 hours or so without major issues or catostrophic failure...all Kohler engines.

6. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I’ve seen quite a few 3500 hour machines. Then there’s the internet 14000 hour Grasshopper. My Grasshopper has 2300.

7. JeremyKuhn

JeremyKuhn LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 2000 Toro that I bought that had about 4200 on it, the engine had been replaced at about 3500.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

We sold our first Groundsmaster with over 4,000 hours to a golf course. A few years later they were still running it regularly and it was over 6,000 on the original engine with no engine work other than tuneups and oil changes.

The only bad thing about those engines was replacing the #3 plug required the distributor to be removed, so the timing had to be adjusted. Usually did it once a season and threw new points and condenser on at the same time. Fuel efficient and problem free. Fuel usage was around 1 gal\hour with a 72" deck.

[​IMG]

I had thousands of hours sitting on these things.

9. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Isnt' it a shame that these mowers costing close to $15k can't get 2000k plus hours without needing a motor or a hydro. Cheap crap and all profit. Even the high end ones will likely be needing a major part at 2k hours, either the engine or something in he drives.

weeze and Mark Oomkes like this.
  10. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Platinum Member

My JD 997 is coming up on 2800 hours. Only thing I have ever replaced was caster wheel bearings and tires. It still has the original deck belt on it.

Had a JD 777 with Kawasaki 27hp liquid cooled. Engine and hydros never had a problem until the crank blew at 4500+ hours.