Most hours you've seen on a machine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Grassfire205, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

2. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

The diesel ones do. I don’t recall a single post in this thread about replacing hydros. If you’re expecting to run 2k or more trouble free you better ditch the air cooled gasser.

3. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Funny you say that. I've seen more liquid cooled kawasaki's with push rod issues prior to 2k hours than I'd like to admit, I've seen a dozzen replacements on liquid cooled engines prior to the 2k mark, sometimes prior to the 1500 hour mark. I'll tell you that even the liquid cooled motors tend to need replacement around the 2k mark or before. Contrary to the salesman or what you like to believe, the air cooled engine hold up very well up to 2k hours, some might start using a little oil, but I've seen the air cooled ones go 2k without any problem, walk behind or ride ons. I would greatly question whether a liquid cooled gasser has any more longevity than an air cooled gasser.

I understand that you don't see any talk about hydro's on this 2 page post, but i can assure you, unless you're new to the game, it's not a mystery that hydro's go out, and sometimes it's as frequent as the engine.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  4. UpNorthMowing

UpNorthMowing LawnSite Fanatic
    from Ontario

Jacobsen 9016t, all original deck hydraulic motors, every other hydraulic component is original except for the rear wheel motors.

Had the top end of the machine worked on ie. New head gasket, new rockers, rods and i am sure i am missing something else.
    20190321_162037.jpg

5. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

Nice. Have an eXmark Viking at 8290hrs all original hydro components. Only thing changed was gasket on the reservoir cap.

On its third engine and second spindle set.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

Walker56 likes this.
  7. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

Not Disagreeing about hydros going out as I think I have been fairly lucky but I've been running hydraulically driven mowers for 28 years and never had a hydraulic drive system fail or even need any work done to it. In fact until the last couple of mowers I've had I never even changed the hydro oil on any of them....6 60 inch Dixie choppers for the first 22 years and the last 6 years have been 2 60 inch exmark machines and one 36 inch gravely.

Knock on wood, lol:hammerhead:

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I am trying to get on a 4 year schedule to replace mowers. We've found (mostly on Toros and Exmarks) that after 4 years the hydros get weak and need replacement.

This way I can also stay current on new mower technology.

sjessen, UpNorthMowing and Walker56 like this.
  9. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

How many hrs.

Would shoot for at least 6k on the hydros if you running Walks/no sulky & not abusing on slopes. Have several Tracers hit that w/ just filter/oil changes

Riders & Standers likely less

10. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I've ran walkers for 30 years been real lucky have only ever replaced one set of hydros and it was on a used machine I bought

Walker56 likes this.