1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Most profitable move this year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike payne, Dec 20, 2005.

1. mike payne

mike payne LawnSite Member

What was your most profitable service this year? I took on more fert and spray jobs. The additional fert jobs gave me my first $1000.00 net day in lawncare. I am a solo operator, so this is a great day for me. I also took on more bush trimming jobs, these also were much more profitable than just mowing. Thanks.

2. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

Good move. My brother and I broke a record this summer, netted almost 900 doing fert and mowing. It was great, after cutting we fertilized, and got to go home early. A normal day is more like 400 for us.

My best record ever was netting about 1250 bucks in a day laying sod about 6 weeks ago, working solo.

I hope the snowplowing helps me break another one this winter.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Snow plowing by far...people can't believe how much I gross per hour with our trucks.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

snowplowing, CHA CHING!!!!!! congrats mike payne, good chunk of money there!

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Our most profitable move this year was passing on landscape installs in the 20K+ range. We subbed a lot of hardscaping out on these larger jobs, giving us more time to hydroseed and for maintenance. These larger installs drag our margins down , and tie up short staffed manhours for 1-3 weeks at a time. Now , we are freed up to do higher margin work, still service the clients, and gain more maint. work from the 2 other LCOs we subbed to. Life was good this year..and will be even better next season.

Rod, I hear ya on the plowing! I used to sit and do the nightly invoicing for our plow trucks, and it blew my mind with just 2 trucks...add in 2-5X that amount of trucks, and winter is a phenomenal profit maker.

6. rodfather

You got it Bill. I went from 2 to 4 trucks this winter with over 100 accounts...cha-ching!!!

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Better start buying stock in Sealy or Stearns & Foster...LOL

8. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

I don't know if it was my most profitiable service this year but... Within 3 weeks of buying my aerator, advertising aeration, and hooking up with the local extension agent. I made enough to cover the aerator and advertising a few times over. It's paid for itself many times up until it started getting cold. That extra money it made and the fact it only takes myself, a truck, trailer, and tractor to operate has been really nice.

9. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

PINE STRAW PINE STRAW PINE STRAW PINE STRAW PINE STRAW
    PINE STRAW PINE STRAW PINE STRAW PINE STRAW PINE STRAW
    just today i put out 100 bails in 4.5 hours, I clear 3.50 a bail those jobs can get me by for a week sometimes.

10. rodfather

Aerating (along with reseeding too afterwards) can bring in some serious dinero for sure.