Most rediculous customer request or complaint?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowin4cash, Jul 27, 2000.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

My dad had an Indian (not the American type) ask if he could just borrow our equipment. He said no problem, just give me the keys to your convenience store. Goofball.<p>Had a &quot;burnout&quot;, who was shacked of with one of our regular customers, come out and say this: (read in stoner voice) &quot;Hey dude. I think you sprayed my pot plant with that weed killer stuff. I planted a new one, let me show you where it's at.&quot; :)<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Keith

2. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

More:<br>Watch my kids while I run to the store.<br>Hook your truck to that stump and &quot;pull 'er out&quot;<br>Burn that pile of rubbish in the back yard.<br>Dump my lawn debris in the woods that is not my property.<br>Cut my lawn every week during the worst drought in 60 years. (Non irrigated)<br>Cut my lawn for free one time, and I'll make you a copy of a software program.<br>Don't trim, I like the ragged look.<br>Get my mail.<br>Give me a price quote over the phone, without ever seeing my lawn. I love these, I then ask what they do for a living, and ask for a price on whatever they do. Or, if they say &quot;give me a ballpark&quot; I reply &quot; Wrigley field&quot;.<br>Bill this work at my house to my company address.<br>My lawn only needs cut every three weeks.<br>Don't cut my lawn today, ChemLawn was here three days ago.<br>Only cut the back yard every other time, no one can see back there anyway.<br>Don't put your snowplow all the way down, I don't want my pavement scraped.<br>Biggest lie ever told- We pay our bills the day we recieve them.<br>And, the number one Most rediculous customer request or complaint:<br>Clean my gutters!!! <p>Just kidding on the last one guys, no flames please.

3. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

Amen to that!

4. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

Had a Jamaican lady tell me her most important things in life were GOD and her lawn. Wanted hers cut for $18 every 10 days cause she's on a fixed income. I'm just 3 weeks new full timer and not wanting to turn any work away took the job. She raced around the house looking at every minute I was mowing. Waved her arms and had me shut down my mower at least half a dozen times to point out things she wanted done just so. I spent an hour at what should have been a 20 minute job. I was so angry that I almost had a stroke as I was late for a job that payed me $150 for 3 hours work. Told her she just received $40 worth of work for $18, she said, &quot;Now you don't need to talk to me that way&quot;. When I was leaving a neighbor approached and warned that she is not right in the head and goes through lawn service guys like sh*t thru a goose. Needless to say, I won't be doing her lawn again.<br>Bassman

5. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Just remembered another one-<br>Had a new customer this spring that looked like her beehive got a liitle too close to the gas stove (chemo treatment look).<br>Came for the orig. bid, & she told us &quot;I never walk on my grass, only to mow it. I spose I can walk around to look at it with you for the estimate&quot; I'm already thinking<br>'psycho!'. My 4 yr. old son scooped a pc. of thatch in his hand, & &quot;OHH HONEY DON&quot;T TOUCH THAT, PUT THAT BACK! I told her it was thatch & she denied having ANY thatch in her lawn-yeah right there was about 20% of the yard was thatch. Anyways, we come out & it just quit raining. Had to explain would be too long by next week, so we would mow it & clean up any clippings. Needless to say she rubbernecked the whole time we were there. I should've packed up & left halfway thru just to torque her off. Then pissed & moaned 'I don't want any clippings in my flower beds, blah blah blah.' Needless to say that was the 1st & last time we did that nut case.<br>Oh yeah, also forgot the whole time we were there for the bid, she was farting out loud right in front of us. Multiple times. <br>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<p><p><font size="1">Edited by: yardsmith

6. mykee

mykee LawnSite Member

While I have had y share of nuts I thought I would pass along a couple of good customer stories. 1. I finish cutting first time for a little old lady who had a man friend doing the work up till me who was 90 and she was afraid he was going to stroke out. She brought me my check along with 3 old (but fairly current) Newsweek magazines along with a couple other magazines and for a topper a piece of fresh iced angel food cake wrapped up in tin foil. 2. on a particullarily shitty hedge and brush trimming job including poison ivy on a day around 90 degrees wearing long sleeve shirt etc to prevent the poison ivy when done she asks what did we agree to for today and I reminded her it was $75 she looks at me sweating my a-- off and says I dont think you knew quite what you were getting into so I'll just give you $100. cant beat that with a stick.........

7. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

This is a recent one , try to forget the rest. Went to look at a tree removal other day, large oak close to the house, bottom of hill in back yard. Haul everything. Took a walk around the tree then looked at the ways to get up the hill, told him $1300. (He's carrying notes)Him: Well i have it figured at $559, 3 guys at $8/hr, accounting for ins,Blah, Blah, Blah.. I said good luck, see you later.

8. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Most rediculous request was &quot;can you cut my bushes half off the top and half off the back. As for a complaint I gave a customer a spec sheet with prices details of service and dead line. I did a high grass cut and spring clean up. Told her the price for both again she said I forget I think I left the paper in the house. Needless to say when she got that bill she called me up asking &quot;what kind of business are you ruinning? I'm not paying!!! You didn't do this and you didn't do that. I'm not a rich person!!! I went to her house with the spec sheet and she even showed me hers and the bill. She showed herself who the $#%@#$ was. Everything is always spelled out it has to be!!! ;)<br>Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance &quot;Where quality and reliable service counts&quot;

9. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Tell me what kind of chemicals you would put on this lawn so that I can buy them and put them on myself. I can't remember if it was urea or Glyhposate.

10. lawndog

lawndog LawnSite Member

Had this gal tell me how wonderful I was taking care
    of the place but I wasn't mowing short enough.I calmly
    inform her that i was mowing as short as I could with all
    the swells and dips in the lawn.Then she asks if i could
    keep it green without it growing,and this gal is a lawyer.

Then there is the drunk guy who never remembers my name
    (but does pay his bill on time) even though he talks to
    me each time I'm there,and thinks I know about everything
    because he wants to know what I think about, yada......

NO I DO NOT CLEAN OUT GUTTERS.I'm a landscaper not a maid.