Mostly all granular program

Dylan's Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
Before we start out no I do not have my license yet but have studied for them and will be going for the test in the next week or 2.

I will be buying a Spyker spreader and a Stihl backpack sprayer so I can spot spray, I don't have the money do kid sprayer or a tow behind this year so I cant blanket spray .

Do any of you run a all granular program in the Midwest? I notices most of you seem to have at least one blanket spray in you programs. Can I provide a quality service by just spot spraying when I show up to mow? All my yards are around 5,000 square feet or under except a 20,000 square foot condo.

mikesturf

LawnSite Senior Member
Good luck on your test. If you study you will do fine!

I have been doing all granular and spot spraying with a 4 gallon back pack for 6 years and its going great. Tell your customers to mow at 3". When you come across lawns that have a lot of weeds, expect to make a few extra visits to get them under control. When taking over a new lawn, if it has not been serviced by another company, the first year is the hardest. After that it is just maintance. I like lawns 7,000ft or less. I always pass on the large ones, not enough money to be made on those. If there is a potential new customer that has a lot of weeds, I may tell them to use Tru-Green or someone that can blanket spray a few times or just pass on it all together.
I have ABSOLUTELY no problems with only spot spraying.

Find you niche and work it.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
You can do all granular and spot weed but don't plan on doing it on lawns larger than 5k sq ft or so. And for new lawns, you almost have to blanket treat.

OP
D

Dylan's Lawn Care

LawnSite Member

I have been doing all granular and spot spraying with a 4 gallon back pack for 6 years and its going great. Tell your customers to mow at 3". When you come across lawns that have a lot of weeds, expect to make a few extra visits to get them under control. When taking over a new lawn, if it has not been serviced by another company, the first year is the hardest. After that it is just maintance. I like lawns 7,000ft or less. I always pass on the large ones, not enough money to be made on those. If there is a potential new customer that has a lot of weeds, I may tell them to use Tru-Green or someone that can blanket spray a few times or just pass on it all together.

What back pack sprayer do you use? I think I will ask 2 or 3 of my customers that have smaller lawns and just spot spray them this year, if worst come to worst and i cant keep up with the weeds ill just contract a ap out. I at least want to do a few lawns this year to get some experience.

Patriot Services

LawnSite Fanatic

Holy crap! The last people I would send a customer to for a serious weed resolution would be TG. Find a local hotshot and network. They might even teach you something. TG techs usually dont even know what is in the tank.:usflag:

jbell36

LawnSite Bronze Member
Holy crap! The last people I would send a customer to for a serious weed resolution would be TG. Find a local hotshot and network. They might even teach you something. TG techs usually dont even know what is in the tank.:usflag:
not only that, that particular applicator for TG prob won't even be around the next year...TG's turnover is crazy

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Backpack can be used for medium-size lawns. Just blanket apply at a half gallon per thousand. Just keep the pressure low and use a hotter mixture. 4 gals should do 8000 sqft. Use a wide nozzle or wave the wand back and forth like you would with a Chemlawn spray gun. You may need a 55 gallon drum to carry water. Strap it down securely in your truck. Weed control is important--you cannot afford resprays or to have other companies do a better job than you. Let us know how it works out.

phillie

LawnSite Senior Member

Really? Trugreen? Haha.. My recommendations to my customers are only good ones, there is no way I would put my name behind a hack company. I wouldnt recommend to customers to use someone else if you are trying to start doing weed control and fert. The reason there isnt enough money to be made on the larger lawns for Mike is because of his equipment. People dont buy $8000 ride ons because there is no money to be made on bigger properties. Honestly you can start with a backpack but you will need to upgrade to a tank or a ride on at some point so that you could handle what ever comes your way. Think of it this way, How many professional companies say " Sorry sir your lawn is just to big" when talking to a customer that only has 1/2 acre or even 1/4 of one.

all ferris

LawnSite Bronze Member
IMHO you will have trouble with just spot spraying. I tried it my first year and it just seemed like I was constantly going back to the property to "spot spray". There are a lot of weeds that are hard to see until they flower or just get big. When spot spraying it is very easy to miss those little weeds. Two weeks later when they are visible you will get a call. This is where blanket applications do a much better job. When you blanket spray you don't miss all those "hidden" weeds.

mikesturf

LawnSite Senior Member
YES, I deserved to get brutalized by saying I told people to go to TruGreen.:hammerhead: Bad call, you guys are correct.

For the past few years, I have been referring people to a Lawnsite member thats in my area.

I use T-Zone with spreader/sticker and never really have any problems with weeds. I use a $70 Solo backpack sprayer from Home Depot. I bought it 7 years ago and it still works like new.