1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Motion sensor for animals

Discussion in 'Sensors & Remote Controls' started by Mitty87, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

Hi guys, doesn’t seem like there is any info out here and only junk orbit hose connected motion sensors available from what I see online. I have someone with a small 1000’ sq lawn area in the front yard and they were asking about something to turn the zone on for deer or raccoons. Does anyone know of any products available of if it is possible to connect any motion sensor to the timer (rain bird)???

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  3. WalnutGuy

WalnutGuy LawnSite Member
    from USA

Did you ever figure this out? I was going to start a similar thread until I found this one.
    I’m looking for something that would work with this Irritrol setup for the exact same purpose and similar small front yard.
    You are not the only one with this issue.

I’m thinking a motion sensor like this could be used to trigger a valve, but would also need to quickly turn the valve back off to not waste water.
    http://www.steinel.net/Outdoor-Motion-Sensors

9BF1774A-BE61-4970-BA1A-C60A77620005.jpeg

BF0D9577-76A6-4653-89CE-AE7E61B713C0.jpeg

19BF4EA5-AB57-4BB2-AAA9-D31D3C710ACE.jpeg

4. OP
    OP
    Mitty87

No luck, they could only use the crappy orbit one that broke in the first5 minutes

Cam15 likes this.
  5. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

This guy has a series of helpful "how to" videos on the subject.

hort101 likes this.
  6. WalnutGuy

from USA

Too bad. There has to be a way to make this work with a motion sensor with a relay connected to an irrigation valve.

7. OP
    OP
    Mitty87

yea but the client I had was a dentist who had his business shut down so more expensive option wasn’t really considered. I think there is definitely a way, just might cost a bit

hort101 likes this.
  8. benhargreaves

benhargreaves LawnSite Member

This is an interesting question, and my afternoon is rained out, so I decided to do a little experimenting. The issue you will have doing this with an existing sprinkler valve is that you need 24v to activate it. And the clock will only send out that 24v when it is scheduled to. In theory, you could wire a valve to the 24v posts in the timer and use a motion sensor as a switch on the circuit to only activate the solenoid when the motion sensor trips.

So I tried this. I don't have a motion sensor, but I do have a toggle switch which I used in place of a motion sensor. If you leave a solenoid wired into a station, then also wire that solenoid to one of the 24v posts with an interrupting switch wired in, that solenoid will activate when the switch is activated or when the timer activates that station. So, in theory, with the right motion sensor, this could be done for a specific station.

A couple of issues I forsee: This will only work with 1 station due to water supply, you also don't want the motion sensor activating a station when the system is already running another station, and this might not be good for the timer.

You could in theory do this with multiple stations, but you likely will not have the water supply to activate more than 1 station at a time. You also will overcurrent the timer if you have too many stations activated electronically at the same time. You also need to factor in the current load of the motion sensor.

The water supply issue also means you would not want the motion activated station to activate while another station is running. There may be additional relays or switches you can incorporate to interrupt the motion activation station when other stations are activated, but that's beyond me.

I also don't know if wiring a solenoid in this manner may cause problems with the timer. Someone with a better understanding of the electronic components of a sprinkler timer would have to weigh in.

You can activate a sprinkler zone with a motion sensor. You would need the right motion sensor for this application and you would need to figure out a solution for your water supply issue.

hort101 likes this.
  9. WalnutGuy

from USA

Thanks for that info.

This is for a small yard. So, there is only a single zone.
    There are a few things I need.
    1. I don’t want it to interfere in any way with the regularly scheduled timed waterings controlled by the Irritrol.
    2. I don’t want the sprinklers to run for more than 1 minute after being triggered by the motion sensor.
    3. I need to have the motion sensor power hooked up to a timer that allows me to set an exclusion for specific times on specific days of the week rather than a simple timer that only lets to control time of day when power is sent to the motion sensor. For instance, I might need the motion sensor activation to be disabled on Mondays between 7AM and noon when landscaping crews come to mow the grass and trim hedges.

What devices would be needed to get this done?
    Would it be better to add a separate dedicated sprinkler valve for this to keep it from interfering with the existing valve setup?

10. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

My business owner use to install these for lake front properties. He called them Goose B Gone. In which he wired 2 motion sensors in line near the beach ( Much like a garage sensor - they need to be in line) and when the goose crossed the line a few Maxi-Paw Sprinkler heads would shoot up to scare the geese away. He had it wired into the VT/hotpost of the controller for the valve. When the sensor got tripped it activated the valve

benhargreaves, Mitty87 and hort101 like this.