1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Motor oil recommendations

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by qualitylawnlc, Apr 7, 2007.

1. qualitylawnlc

qualitylawnlc LawnSite Member

I have an eXmark with a 15hp kaw. I've been using rotella sae 30, which is the recommended weight for this engine. I had someone tell me today that this was a poor choice. I've always used rotella in all of my air cooled engines. What do you think?

2. T'S lawncare

T'S lawncare LawnSite Member

your manual probably says use straight 30 depending on outside temp. And thats a safe choice for summer applications, I wouldn't worry about it,

3. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

I think "someone" doesn't know what they are talking about.
    "Diesel" oils tend to have higher levels of anti-wear/scuff additives vs "auto" oils. Some of these additives "kill" catalytic converters, so they aren't used in autos.
    I personally like DELO 400, but Rotella is very good too.
    I think the Diesel oils are GREAT for small engines.

The main thing is to change it when needed and most any detergent oil will do a good job.

4. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

A poor choice because of the brand or weight of the oil ?

5. qualitylawnlc

qualitylawnlc LawnSite Member

The weight is as recommended, I was told that diesel oil was just a poor choice. Before I used it in the Kaw, I made sure it met the SH/SJ ratings which it does. I'll keep using it.

6. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

s ratings are for gas engines, s=spark

c ratings are for diesels, c=compression

any dino diesel oil with s rating will be better then a dino gas engine oil. lots more addatives, and it wont clog cats if it has any s rating...never seen a cat on a mower.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It won't be long before you do, They are in the works as we type.