1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

mounting sprayer on mower?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by touchofpride, Apr 7, 2007.

1. touchofpride

touchofpride LawnSite Member
    from NE

Hey guys,

Need a little help here. Searched previous posts and couldn't find what I'm looking for. Have an exmark walkbehind mower does not have electric start. I want to mount a spray tank on the front of it with a single nozzle (boom pattern) that sprays out front of the mower. Anway, mounting and stuff is not a problem, but if it's an electric sprayer and my mower doesn't have a battery and mount a battery do I need to constantly charge it?? How long will it last?? Can I tie it in with my mower so charging is not neccesary? Thanks in advance.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know. But the 1 gal per min Flo-Jet pump draws about 10 amps. It all depends on how big your battery is. A good battery shop should be able to help you, maybe "Batteries Plus".

You may need 3 nozzles and a short boom. You might be able to cover 8 to 10 feet wide.

Have you considered using a mechanical pump--maybe an inexpensive roller pump? Drive it with a belt.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

If you need electricity you could try a deep cycle marine battery, such as those used to power trolling motors. As far as recharge time or battery life that is unknown. However you could pull a heavy guage wire off the battery to the use to charge the battery when transported. You would want the power to the box switched and on a circuit breaker.

A roller pump would be the way I think I would go with the type of setup you have.