moving big trees

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by BrandonV, Feb 9, 2016.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

We also have a 50" vermeer. They're good BUT be careful because spade are abused and you don't want to buy someone else's junk.

2. GardenGal

GardenGal LawnSite Member

I know you are in NC.... but would you ever consider traveling to another state, like NJ? I have probably 2000 trees that need to be dug but are way too big for my poor lil 36"

hort101 likes this.
  3. BrandonV

I wouldn't mind doing it but it'd probably be a lot easier for you to call Big John and also Dutchmen tree spade to see whom they'd already sold one to in your area. I'm several months out on work and my major problem would be getting all the permits to bring the unit up there. DOT is not your friend.

hort101 and GrassManKzoo like this.
  4. GardenGal

GardenGal LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I will check it out.

I wouldn't need them dug until next year... March/April. But I understand the DOT headache. I will check around here more, I've called a few places but nobody seems to wanna call me back. There is a huge shortage of labor around here, not sure if it's affecting the entire country or just this God awful state I live in.

hort101 likes this.
  5. BrandonV

busy week despite having 2" of rain to start things off.... slow and muddy
    load of magnolias headed to a new home
    spade - 5.jpg
    BIG willow oak installed for a city park spade - 1.jpg spade - 4.jpg spade - 2.jpg getting a little stuck in the mud... thank goodness for alternamats! spade - 3.jpg

hort101 likes this.
  6. AWilsonCreativeServices

AWilsonCreativeServices LawnSite Senior Member

Brandon- as always, good-looking and professional work. Those are some seriously large-caliper trees, and you obviously have the equipment to handle both the B&B stuff and the direct spade work.
    Hope the public works/municipal lines of business for the spade help keep it busy.
    Also, you appear to be one of few contractors with a large spade that ever posts much online (that I've run across), so it is always exciting to see what you're doing, and the pics are esp fun to check out.

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I imagine you have to provide some warranties with these trees?

8. BrandonV

The ones we install yes the ones going to another installer no.