moving equipment 700 miles...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Springmeadows, Aug 2, 2010.

  1. Springmeadows

    Springmeadows LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 390

    I am going to do a job for my in-laws and trying to figure out if I'm bringing my Bobcat with instead of renting... I have my truck and trailer tagged for 15,000 lbs in NC. It is legal and all, just not sure about different states in between.

    I know I will have to stop at all the weigh stations. What kinds of paperwork do you need with you concerning trucks and trailers. I am not going to weigh over 13,500 so I will well within my tag.

    Truck and trailer tires are good, brakes and lights all work. I have a full commercial tag and lettering on the truck. What other issues could there be?

    I am leaving Friday morning so I have time to not take the Bobcat with and just go in the truck.
  2. bighornjd

    bighornjd LawnSite Member
    Messages: 215

    Sounds like your bases are covered to me. I'd take your own. You'll need registrations for both truck and trailer and proof of insurance. Most states require a DOT physical card if your over 10,000 GVW. If you have all that and everything else is legal as you say then no worries.

    Since you have to drive there anyway, I don't think the extra fuel usage to tote the trailer along will be that much compared to what it would cost to rent. JMO.
  3. Springmeadows

    Springmeadows LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 390

    In my state DOT number is not required unless the truck is over 10,000 lbs. Mine is a 3/4 ton, so I was told I didn't need a DOT number. So hopefully they're right about that. I was thinking the same thing, about the fuel usage compared to rental. They want 205 for 6 hours in rental plus they won't let me move it, so I would have to pay to have it moved around to the two jobs I need to do. So, I'm planning on bringing my own. I got the trailer ready today, I had a taillight out and a wheel stud had broke when I put on a couple new tires.
  4. tnmtn

    tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.
    Messages: 1,022

    i may be wrong but when you cross state lines with equipment for commercial use a DOT number is required. i don't think being under 10k or 26k combined matters. definitly have health card and possibly drug screen.
    good luck,
  5. Krafty

    Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO
    Messages: 704

    Not sure if you are taking material or not either but my guys have been nailed before for a unified carrier tag crossing state lines.
  6. Springmeadows

    Springmeadows LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 390

    Not taking any materials, just the Bobcat and a set of forks. I may even sell the Bobcat up in Chicago while I'm there...
  7. JPsDuramax

    JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia
    Messages: 346

    If you cross state lines and your Gross Combined Vehicle Rating exceeds 10,000 lbs, you must have a DOT number if you are not a recreational vehicle. You would also need a driver's log with you in addition to the health card. It may end up being cheaper just to rent considering the headaches of the DOT and commercial vehicle enforcement. These laws are federal, not state since you will be crossing state lines.
  8. JB1

    JB1 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,904

    if it was me I would just rent one, and not have to worry about all that, but then if your wanting to sell it.
  9. JPsDuramax

    JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia
    Messages: 346

    Also, you need an annual vehicle report for both truck and trailer. MVR for yourself, and you cannot drive (legally) over ten hours. Unless you have a lot of work out of state, I would say a rental unit would be best.
  10. Springmeadows

    Springmeadows LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 390

    I am seeing you guys' view on the headaches on moving equipment this far. I believe I am just gonna rent. I can't afford fines or impounding the equipment if that happens. Just gonna drive the truck and fly under the radar without the equipment/trailer.

Share This Page