1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Moving Sand

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by olderthandirt, May 23, 2005.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I have to move 15 ton of sand approximately 75'. The problem is theres no easy way of moving it that I can see, the shortest route is down some steps so thats out, the only other way around is a nasty side hill approx. 20-23 degree slope. So I can't use the skid or the tractors. The only other thing I can think of is to rent a motorized concrete buggy, but I don't think it will do to well on the slope. And a wheel barrow won't work because that to much work :p Any suggestions???????

2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Conveyer might work if your local rental places have one.Also, I hear someone on this site has a system for climbing stairs with motorized equipment. :D

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

How steep are these steps?
    Any chance of laying down some lumber and using some horsepowered equipment?

I like horsepower........... :p

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Can you use a concrete chute to get it down the stairs straight into a wheelbarrow or front-end loader.

5. StealthDT

StealthDT LawnSite Member

I'd use a 2" hose and air compressor to blow it like a sand blaster

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Look into renting a Dingo type loader. If you can get one with tracks, it may even work on the stairs. The only other best option would be to get a couple of good wheelbarrows together, and see if you can get a few younger guys who are willing to make some quick cash.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I read an article some where that a company had to replace a tree in a court yard. The had a crane lift in the tree and a mini excavator. But they used a Dingo to bring in the materials. They put plywood down. Then ran the dingo throught the building and down a flight of stairs. The brought it something like 10 yards of topsoil and haul out the old tree this way. They said the tracked dingo was a life saver. I bet this is the best choice.

8. DKinWA

DKinWA LawnSite Member

Provided you don't have a lot of overhead obstructions, what about a small crane with a concrete hopper? Around here, you can get a 50 ton for around $140/hour with a 3 or 4 hour minimum. If you've got a machine to load the hopper, you should be able to get it done in a couple of hours.