1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Moving up to Zero Turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Auchan, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Auchan

Auchan LawnSite Member

I care for one large estate with moderately sloping land.

I have been using a lawn tractor (46" deck) and mowing some slopes. The lawn tractor just bit the dust. Now I want to upgrade to small zero turn mower. Is the Ferris 1500 (48" deck) a good choice for stepping up. The suspension system would be nice as I hit some rough ground.

Realistically, what kind of time savings should I expect and how much trouble will I have holding a stripe along a slope while I get used to hand controls.

Anyone out there use a Dixie Chopper? How do they compare.

I have good dealerships locally for Gravely, Ferris, John Deere and a smaller shop selling Dixie Chopper. The boss told me to find something around $5000.
    Any thoughts?

2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

How large is the large estate?

Most commerical Z's will run you around $7000. Most important thing is dealer support.

Use this and you will be busy for months reading information: http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?

3. FLYonWALL9

FLYonWALL9 LawnSite Member

Auchan,
    Although I don't have the 48 I do have a new 44 and can say the thing is killer. I have a very bad back and I do feel that the shocks help some. They can be adjusted like adjustable coil overs on cars but I haven't played with it.

The cut is great and the price for mine was only 5200. I would bet you could get into a 48 for no more than 6 if that much. I didn't even really haggle, just said I was paying cash and that was that. I can tell you side slopes are a pain but taking them up and down it doesn't miss a beat. I cut a hill that is UNREAL steep almost to the point where I need front end weight and it will go up as fast as it does on flat ground.

I cant say enough about my new Ferris.