Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else out there have problems with clients seeing themselves as a horticulturist crossed with Tim the Tool man "Mow Fertilizer"? I have one contract where the client insists that Chem-Lawn does his fertilizing needs. The only problem is that the day after Chem-Lawn comes and applies their magic, he spreads more granular fertilizer just in case it needs more. Mix this with a need to run his sprinkler 4 times a week, even in the rain, it ain't pretty.

I've talked to him on numerous occasions, but somehow he sees the 5-6 inch growth every 3-4 days as healthy. Can you spell Thatch! I've been closing in the days between mowings, but refuse to bag this jungle as he won't pay more for the service.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think he just likes to watch it grow, literally.

Maybe you can print off some info from a respected local agricultural state school that spells out the recommended application schedule and rates. Otherwise tell him you will mow his lawn every day.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Tell him he is destroying the environment.

Also if he gets his drinking water from a well on the property. You can inform him of the health risks.

Provide him proof, as mentioned post above

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was reading the concern of a fellow member on wells and fertilizer. To be honest, you'll never see fertilizer from a lawn application show up in your well. You'd be lucky to see it leach down 2-3 feet in the soil, maybe more if extremely sandy. so unless you have an artisian(sp) or shallow well w/ an exposed opening there is no risk. Secondly your arguement should be about the local streams, rivers and drainage ditches. This is where your problem stems from, run-off.

Secondly most major lawn companys only apply there fertilizer and 3/4 rate per acre. finally this customer could also get away w/ this if they both are using slow release products. Two quick release products w/ turn a law a lovely shade of orange then brown.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sorry... only one chef in the kitchen! Either my show or no go!!!

Good Luck, Clay

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Originally posted by Clay
Sorry... only one chef in the kitchen! Either my show or no go!!!

Good Luck, Clay
LOL, I like that phrase, I'll have to remember that one next time.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I just got a friends lawn under control from OVER fertilizing on his part. He is a good friend and he has a 7500 sq ft lawn. He likes to do the fert himself and that is fine with me. He had a huge thatch problem along with summer patch. Aerated the heck out of it 2 years in a row and cut the N down to 1/3 of what he was adding.

Finally coming around. I was pulling plugs with 2" of hair on a 3" core. One more season and it will be back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.