[Mowbers] Lawn mowing for $10 (GTA Toronto)

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by paulsgrass, Sep 12, 2019.

1. paulsgrass

paulsgrass Banned

2. tdipaul

tdipaul LawnSite Member

Someone in that forum said this and it is the most likely scenario IMO:

To be honest, Mowbers sounds like a vanity project by a couple of university students who thought they had figured out the "next" uber. They probably power-pointed a presentation to their parents about DISRUPTING an archaic industry. They probably got a $100,000 investment and spent heavily on marketing. Probably had some 3 year plan with aggressive pricing to build up a user base with the intention to sell or increase pricing. I'll be stunned if they are still functional by August.

3. OP
    OP
    paulsgrass

paulsgrass Banned

Good news and bad news. Bad news first is that they are still in business. The good news is I called to get a quote and they do not service Bradford :)

4. tdipaul

tdipaul LawnSite Member

Their #1 customer will eventually be mowing run-down rentals for absentee owners living in FL

IMO this pic on their website is not an accurate representation of the service someone will be receiving

[​IMG]

5. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

I'll do it for $5:eek:

6. OP
    OP
    paulsgrass

paulsgrass Banned

So i called this company asked for a quote for a small backyard in Toronto no front yard. I was told it was $18.00 and 30.00 for the first cut since it was over grown ( how they magically know its over grown is beyond me ). No trimming or clean up please provide your credit card number.

7. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Fanatic

They HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you tip their workers hahahahaha! They said it helps keep their prices low. Uhhhh, you think??

So I tip lots of money to your workers so you don't have to pay them as much. Then my mowing price stays low....yep, makes perfect sense....cause the money I spend paying errrr "tipping" your employees doesn't count towards what I spend every 10 days on my lawn!

Company sounds awful.

8. tdipaul

tdipaul LawnSite Member

just like Panera bread when they hit you with the option to tip upon checkout

9. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Y'all have a heroin problem in Canada too? Good gosh those are the only folks I can see doing this. Just lost a friend to it so don't judge my post on the subject please.

10. Marshall's Yard Service

Marshall's Yard Service LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear of your friends death Kemco.